Fighting Fantasy books

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
How do you organize your Fighting Fantasy books?

They've stopped numbering them in recent years and, prior to that, the re-releases used a different numbering order. (I blame the comic book industry for this nonsense!) So, when shelving them, how do you sort them? I've got some green spine original series books, the modern gold spines and a few weirdos from that same series with a silver spine and a purple spine.

Last edited:

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Separately by print run - white and black American covers for all of the ones that I got when I was a kid, green covered printings grouped together where I have them, and then the modern reprintings together in whatever order makes sense aesthetically for the shelf. Since that last grouping is the one I have the fewest of the ordering doesn't matter quite so much.

I have them on the same bookcase as my Lone Wolf books, and those of course are easier to keep in order.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I think that's probably what I'll do. I have my green spines and the original Sorcery books in the garage, but I just got more shelf space and will probably cluster all of my babies together.

Other than the OAR books and the commemorative 1E books, this is my only collection-as-collection stuff, so there's no obvious usability organizational system for them.

GreyLord

Legend
They've stopped numbering them in recent years and, prior to that, the re-releases used a different numbering order. (I blame the comic book industry for this nonsense!) So, when shelving them, how do you sort them? I've got some green spine original series books, the modern gold spines and a few weirdos from that same series with a silver spine and a purple spine.

So I have the original print run, that's easy enough to organize. That also covers more than one book shelf level on their own (edit: I should clarify, these are the greenback ones which is why they take up so much space). After that I put the new printings of books that came after (Eye of the Dragon, Night of the Necromancer, etc). I've continued to do that with the new FF as they've come out in recent years with each new one being printed being added to the end of the line.

For alternate printings which I picked up I simply put on a different area of the Library or pack them in the attic with a bunch of other books that I have (probably have more books in the attic now than are in the library, just in general. I probably have around 10K books in the library now, which means I have a TON of books in the attic. My poor kids when I pass).

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I move so often, and into such small spaces, that I cannot imagine the luxury of multiple prints of books, let alone a physical book collection in the thousands. I deeply envy you.

John Lloyd1

Explorer
I don't need to organise mine since I have only two. Warlock of Firetop Mountain and Bloodbones. Bloodbones has been sitting around for about 5 years half done. I've reached the point where I have to be incredibly lucky to get any further without 'cheating'. Every so often I pull it out again and give it another try using my notes.

How do you manage the cumulative difficulty of the combats, skill checks, etc?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I don't need to organise mine since I have only two. Warlock of Firetop Mountain and Bloodbones. Bloodbones has been sitting around for about 5 years half done. I've reached the point where I have to be incredibly lucky to get any further without 'cheating'. Every so often I pull it out again and give it another try using my notes.

How do you manage the cumulative difficulty of the combats, skill checks, etc?
I was too dumb to pick up Bloodbones -- and I love both pirates and Fighting Fantasy! -- when it was in print, so it's not an issue for me.

With Firetop Mountain, I had to take notes on the numbers of the keys and make a simple map during each run-through to be able to finish it. It's a terrible mechanic in an otherwise iconic adventure.

John Lloyd1

Explorer
I was too dumb to pick up Bloodbones -- and I love both pirates and Fighting Fantasy! -- when it was in print, so it's not an issue for me.

With Firetop Mountain, I had to take notes on the numbers of the keys and make a simple map during each run-through to be able to finish it. It's a terrible mechanic in an otherwise iconic adventure.
With firetop mountain, I originally had scholastics edition that had a looping error that meant it could never be finished. I got another copy later, and that wasn't too hard to solve once you have found the path. (unlike Bloodbones). And, yes, I love Firetop.

GreyLord

Legend
With firetop mountain, I originally had scholastics edition that had a looping error that meant it could never be finished. I got another copy later, and that wasn't too hard to solve once you have found the path. (unlike Bloodbones). And, yes, I love Firetop.

I have the green back Puffin Book version sitting on my shelf. What is the looping error that you mentioned?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases