• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fighting styles

EverSoar

First Post
How do you work fighting styles, if you even use them.

I think 500gp a week is a bit much for a feat, with lots of restrictions.

Crothian

First Post
EverSoar said:
How do you work fighting styles, if you even use them.

I think 500gp a week is a bit much for a feat, with lots of restrictions.

What fighting styles are you refering to? There are some in QF and PotS, and possible other books.

Crothian

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Fighting styles

EverSoar said:

Good point, the ones in Quintessential fighter.

Okay, with these I there are four things as written into the system for balance. First there is money. This can be easy or hard depending on the campaign. One doesn't just have to keep his PCs poor, you can also make other things that they want to spend their money on. The second thing is time. This is aother thing the DM has full control on. You can easily make it impossible for the PCs to get time off or have them make a choice between training and getting a head start of saving the Princess or whatever they are doing. The third is the prerequites. Don't forget you need a Wis bonus of the tier you are training in. Many of the prequites are not easy to get, being cross class skills or off feats. The fourth is the role playing aspect of finding and conviencing a trainer to train you. Perhaps the school is full or even illegal. There are many role playing situations that can arise from just finding and conviencing the teacher to train you.

However, some people believe that that is not enough of a cost. Some have an XP cost of 500 times the tier being learned.

Chun-tzu

First Post
I like the idea of fighting styles. But I'm not sold on the mechanics in either Quintessential Fighter or Path of the Sword. The system in Oriental Adventures works well; there are a lot of requirements, and you get a one-time bonus.

I think most of the bonuses in Quintessential Fighter are pretty well-balanced. Now that we've seen so many feats in the splatbooks, Dragon, and d20 supplements, I think that some feats are not worth a feat, while others may be too powerful. For example, Tome and Blood requires spellcasters to spend one of their few feats if they want a more powerful familiar. Relics and Rituals and Path of Magic don't require a feat, but they do require higher minimum levels and may have other prerequisites as well. Also, consider that Paladins are not required to spend a feat to call a more powerful mount.

What I'm saying is that I'm all for alternate mechanics to provide abilities besides feats. But I'm leary about some of the requirements from Quintessential Fighter (especially the wisdom requirement, which is a nice idea but far too demanding in many campaigns).

I'd change the prerequisites and possibly add an XP cost. Some of the abilities are great, but should not IMHO cost a full feat; for example, choking up on a pole arm to use it at a closer range should be cheaper than a feat.

dead_radish

Explorer
Using a pole arm at range already costs a feat - it's called "Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Duom)"

Why make some thing that is better than that, as it applies to all polearms, instead of just one, and make it cheaper?

EverSoar

First Post
dead_radish said:
Using a pole arm at range already costs a feat - it's called "Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Duom)"

Why make some thing that is better than that, as it applies to all polearms, instead of just one, and make it cheaper?

I just thinks its got that many requirements its too expensive.

You've gotta use that armour, you have to use that weapon, you have to have enough wisdom, you have to have so many feats and BAB to use it.

Remove ads