• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Film Noir/Two-fisted Action Games

sjmiller

Explorer
A friend of mine is thinking abut running a game that is similar in style to film noir, with elements of two-fisted action as well. It's going to be more investigative in nature, but combat will fill a role in the game. Takes place in the 1930s.

What he asked me to do is find a game system that might work for this. I have a couple of ideas, but thought I would ask here as well. If it has some sort of minor magic or powers system in it that would be great, though something could be grafted on later.

Any thoughts, suggestions, links?

Wik

First Post
After years of independant research, I have discovered what I have dubbed "The Savage Worlds Effect". it goes like this:

It is inevitable that, upon being asked for an RPG system recommendation, Savage Worlds will be recommended within three posts. Such suggestions will always be accompanied with firm reasoning on why Savage Worlds is the perfect system choice in question.

It's, liek, science-y and stuff, doncha know.

But yeah, Savage Worlds is a good call. :)

Insight

Adventurer
Savage World is what I was going to suggest for a fairly simple system. If you want something more in-depth, GURPS would work as well.

And within ten, someone's going to recommend Spirit of the Century (although it's a bit more pulp than noir). SRD here; it's one I'd only recommend to experienced gamers.

Crothian

First Post
And within ten, someone's going to recommend Spirit of the Century (although it's a bit more pulp than noir). SRD here; it's one I'd only recommend to experienced gamers.

It's okay, Savage World is also Pulp and not really Noir. Noir is a lot harder to do in an RPG and I don't think generic RPGs work well for it.

Remove ads