Fire Dragon [O.L.D. RPG)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Having just seen The Hobbit, I was tempted to quickly whip up a fire dragon much like Smaug using the O.L.D. RPG rules in development. This is what I came up with, though it was somewhat hasty! Smaug, to be honest, seems fairly easy to depict - he's a fairly straightforward dragon without spellcasting or other abilities.

fire_dragon.jpg

Scorpio616

First Post
So will there EVER be ways to attack / impair base statistics to incapacitate targets? That Agility 2 might be meant to represent an un-agile combatant, but it might be setting up a crippling glass jaw.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
So will there EVER be ways to attack / impair base statistics to incapacitate targets? That Agility 2 might be meant to represent an un-agile combatant, but it might be setting up a crippling glass jaw.

SOAK 20 and 100+ Health. Easy to hit it; really hard to hurt it!

Scorpio616

First Post
SOAK 20 and 100+ Health. Easy to hit it; really hard to hurt it!
So attacks that impair stats (if they even exist) always have to get through soak? The Attacking Ability Scores of 3Era D&D make me wary of any low stat on a critter that is supposed to be a significant foe.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
So attacks that impair stats (if they even exist) always have to get through soak? The Attacking Ability Scores of 3Era D&D make me wary of any low stat on a critter that is supposed to be a significant foe.

It's not a system where you directly reduce the main attributes with attacks, no. Damage is applied to Health. Though it's very early in development.

Scorpio616

First Post
It's not a system where you directly reduce the main attributes with attacks, no.
Uhm, what about the Tangler? RAW it has no size restrictions or break out mechanics so 2 shots and this dragon is immobilized.

Sure it was meant to capture rowdy PCs and make them face justice, but in the design it also makes any big lumbering target a stinking joke. ( pew pew )

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Uhm, what about the Tangler? RAW it has no size restrictions or break out mechanics so 2 shots and this dragon is immobilized.

Sure it was meant to capture rowdy PCs and make them face justice, but in the design it also makes any big lumbering target a stinking joke. ( pew pew )

Excellent playtesting - thanks! That's exactly the sort of thing playtesting is here to catch! :)

Remove ads