Fire Forest of Innenotdar: The Collected Backstory

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
One thing RE the Eladrin connection in this adventure that I played up quite a bit (and it helped that one of the characters is a changeling spy who is working for the Shalesti) is that the knights have a very stern and unforgiving code of honor and justice that their government does not always live up to.

Several of the Eladrin you meet up with are not overly happy with the jobs and tasks they have been assigned with, and the group really realizes there is a difference between the ideals of knighthood and the reality.

They've actually felt bad for the knights who've sworn to defend a king that, as much as the group has come to believe, does not deserve their loyalty.

This gets reinforced later on when the envoys arrive in the Lyceum in module 3.

--Steve

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
That makes so much sense. (I don't think I ever used eladrin in 3.5, so I just read it as a funny word for "high elf", as distinct from "wood elf".)

I take it that, in 3.5, the Shahalesti were not a nation of extraplanar chaotic good angelic entities?

Naah, they were standard 3e High Elves, what with the combo with the Forest and Arcane Magic. The original "eladrin" are closer to angels or perhaps more mystical Fey (they kind of had "A Midsummer Night's Dream" vibe).

Zinovia

Explorer
Nice summary Truename. I wish I had it when I ran this. I'd give you xp for it, but I can't. Guess I need to give more to other people.

I started WotBS before there was an official conversion to 4E, so I converted the first two and a half modules myself. The guardian outside the shrine was an angel that happened to be called an eladrin, so I used an angel in the 4E version. A lot of what was going on was fairly confusing, but I think I managed to direct the group through it decently. We had a lot fewer encounters than the official conversion. I might still have cut some encounters, but I really wish that I had had this mod in the 4E version when I ran it, even more than the first mod. Needless to say, there are now inconsistencies between the events as experienced by my group, and what the converted version expects them to have done. For instance they never met a dragonborn sorcerer referred to in later mods.

I added a bunch of stuff covering the travel from the Fire Forest down to the swamp, which despite being hundreds of miles of travel for a low level party, was not detailed in the original module. By the time we were in the swamp, I knew we were way below the level expected to start the official 4E version of Shelter from the Storm, although it hadn't been published yet. So I'm still doing a lot of work on my own version of the saga, most of which isn't applicable to the official conversion, alas.

Remove ads