• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Firefly - I just don't get it

reveal

Adventurer
stevelabny said:
you joke, but i think my point is valid.

any television show with any depth needs more than one episode to hook you.

And that's why I said I would continue to watch the rest of the episodes. I just wanted to know if I was missing something because so many of my peers were clamoring about how "wonderful" this show was. :)

Nellisir

Hero
I had never seen Firefly on tv, and bought the DVD just because I could. The first few episodes didn't do anything for me, but I started getting into it after 4 or 5 episodes, and now I'm really looking forward to the movie. It starts off slow, but gets better as it builds complexity and we find more out about River (and the episode where the Captain gets married is pretty good).

MacMathan said:
As far as pushing shows, I feel the same way about a lot of people telling me to watch the new Battlestar Galactica, I have tried a few times and it just pains me.

I tried Battlestar a few times, and couldn't get into it at all - very confusing. So I bought the miniseries, and all the pieces have (mostly) fallen together (I haven't seen most of Season 1). If you haven't seen the mini, buy it & watch it. Everything will start to make sense.

Cheers
Nell.

ecliptic

First Post
I could barely watch a Buffy episode and I automatically switch off Angel.

Firefly is one of the best scifi shows made, its just under Battlestar Galactica.

Anyway, what is the point of this thread other than to bash the show? So people need to know about what you think of the show? The entire thread is just an excuse to talk bad about it.

mafisto

First Post
I think reveal had a very good original point - the show just isn't grabbing him like he thought it would. If I were in the same situation I would probably be asking the same question. Where the thread's gone awry is the opportunistic bashing that inevitably gets attached to conversations like this.

I think the argument for watching more than just pilot has been well argued, so I'll just leave it at that. It tooks three eps for me to 'get it' as well, and I was just dying to love it.

I understand wanting to shy away from rabid fan-boy/girl shows simply because people don't like the hard sell. I had the same resistance to Buffy/Angel/BSG/Wonderfalls/Veronica Mars/etc - you just don't like feeling forced into something. But c'mon, we're not talking about guns to the head. People are often crazy in love with something for a reason, not because they're simply retarded. Since finding out that the rabid fans are usually onto something remarkable, my policy has now become, "Try it out, give it a fair shot." If I don't like a show after a half-dozen eps then I probably never will, but in most cases I'm really very impressed. I'm honestly much happier with the time I've spent watching television because of it.

reveal

Adventurer
ecliptic said:
I could barely watch a Buffy episode and I automatically switch off Angel.

Firefly is one of the best scifi shows made, its just under Battlestar Galactica.

Anyway, what is the point of this thread other than to bash the show? So people need to know about what you think of the show? The entire thread is just an excuse to talk bad about it.

You got it. I made the entire thread to talk bad about a tv show. I have nothing else to do with my time. Speaking of which, don't you have anything better to do than to read this thread? Don't like it, don't read it. :\

I started the thread to ask if I was missing something. If I watch a show, read a book, watch a movie, listen to music, etc that is popular and I don't like it, is it not ok to ask what other people think? Is it not ok to ask why they like it or if I will like it if I watch/read/listen to more than the first show/movie/book/album?

reveal

Adventurer
mafisto said:
I think reveal had a very good original point - the show just isn't grabbing him like he thought it would. If I were in the same situation I would probably be asking the same question. Where the thread's gone awry is the opportunistic bashing that inevitably gets attached to conversations like this.

I think the argument for watching more than just pilot has been well argued, so I'll just leave it at that. It tooks three eps for me to 'get it' as well, and I was just dying to love it.

I understand wanting to shy away from rabid fan-boy/girl shows simply because people don't like the hard sell. I had the same resistance to Buffy/Angel/BSG/Wonderfalls/Veronica Mars/etc - you just don't like feeling forced into something. But c'mon, we're not talking about guns to the head. People are often crazy in love with something for a reason, not because they're simply retarded. Since finding out that the rabid fans are usually onto something remarkable, my policy has now become, "Try it out, give it a fair shot." If I don't like a show after a half-dozen eps then I probably never will, but in most cases I'm really very impressed. I'm honestly much happier with the time I've spent watching television because of it.

I've been quoted! Cool. :cool:

But that "weasel" quote is from the Simpsons and belongs to Homer. :)

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
reveal, I think you'll find you like the show as you watch more episodes. It's subtle. It takes its time.

But it's really, really good.

It's not Moonlighting or anything, but it's really good.

MaxKaladin

First Post
RangerWickett said:
I used to be a huge fan of Babylon 5. Then I realized how overdrawn a lot of the action is, particularly when Straczynski was writing it. I mean, I loved it when it was on, but I look back now and wonder at a lot of really awkward moments. True, it was his first TV show where he was producer, and Crusade was better, but even 3rd season of B5 had a few too many things I cringe at now.

And a few brilliant moments I wish I watch again.
Yeah, but when that aired you were probably still in middle school, right? I loved the original Battlestar Galactica when I was 9, but looking at it through adult eyes I see a lot of flaws I never noticed back then. I think that's just the effect of growing up.

Not that I'm saying Babylon 5 is perfect, it certainly has its flaws, but I still think it was a great series.

Remove ads