Firefly Reconsidered: Why Firefly Isn't "Hall of Fame" Great

Dausuul

Legend

That's what I mean. Really? #1 Sci-Fi Series ... of all time?
The Battlestar Galactica remake is at #3.

I weep for humanity.

Zardnaar

Legend
The "hurry up ending" thing has me thinking about an otherwise great series, "Sense8", which got cancelled and then was given the chance to run an abbreviated season to wrap things up due to public outcry. By necessity it wasn't as good as the series had otherwise been, but it at least wrapped things up fairly well. It was a SciFi show with a rather novel premise and had one of the hottest scenes I can remember in TV/streaming, that involved the entire main cast. And by "hot" I mean exactly that, not exploititively sexual for the purpose of showing skin (I'm looking at YOU, GoT).

I thought sense 8 was great season one, season 2 wasn't as good.

Zardnaar

Legend
The Battlestar Galactica remake is at #3.

I weep for humanity.

TNG is two idk if that would make my top ten let alone 5. TNG is vastly over rated IMHO. The best if it is great but two meh seasons and a lot of filler/meh episodes.

DS9 is better IMHO along with B5, Farscape, SG1/Atlantis off the top of my head. Along with the BSG remake which I rewatched recently and thought it was better than 1st time around.

Ryujin

Legend
TNG is two idk if that would make my top ten let alone 5. TNG is vastly over rated IMHO. The best if it is great but two meh seasons and a lot of filler/meh episodes.

DS9 is better IMHO along with B5, Farscape, SG1/Atlantis off the top of my head. Along with the BSG remake which I rewatched recently and thought it was better than 1st time around.
It's pretty easy to think that the newer one is better that Disco Battlestar, when you didn't see it during it's initial release. Some things are really a product of their time :ROFLMAO:

Stalker0

Legend
Yeah I personally would rank Farscape above Firefly in my book. I love firefly and weep that it was cancelled, but Farscape was a great show....did a lot of "out of the box" things, had a solid ending, and a pretty cool villain in Scorpius.

Zardnaar

Legend
Yeah I personally would rank Farscape above Firefly in my book. I love firefly and weep that it was cancelled, but Farscape was a great show....did a lot of "out of the box" things, had a solid ending, and a pretty cool villain in Scorpius.

Yeah I'm thinking Farscape might be one of the best.

It's also fairly consistent and no season is garbage.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Yeah I'm thinking Farscape might be one of the best.

It's also fairly consistent and no season is garbage.
That dog wont hunt. I dont deny that Farscape was innovative and truly felt alien which most sci-fi shows dont, but its full of bad effects, bad writing, and bad acting. Very inconsistent episode to episode too. Swap Farscape in the thread title and edit the cancelled too soon section and it fits this thread perfectly.

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
In twitter just now, two back to back memes are of SG1 and TNG, also interesting is how many extras they share between the shows. Best might need some sort of metric, except they were popular, that is for sure.

Jack Daniel

dice-universe.blogspot.com
That dog wont hunt. I dont deny that Farscape was innovative and truly felt alien which most sci-fi shows dont, but its full of bad effects, bad writing, and bad acting. Very inconsistent episode to episode too. Swap Farscape in the thread title and edit the cancelled too soon section and it fits this thread perfectly.
Nah. The practical effects and makeup weren't always perfect, but the alien puppetry remains fantastic, and even the dated CGI still holds up really well for the space scenes. I don't see how anyone can seriously call the writing or the acting on Farscape bad unless they never watched past the first half of the first season. Once the show found its feet, both were stellar: the cast had chemistry and the show had an emotional core that I have never seen the likes of anywhere else.

Remove ads