Fireworks Cantrip

Michael Morris

First Post
I think this is balanced. It is outclassed by other spells in everything but range. It has a very unusual trait for a cantrip in that it can be changed to a proper spell.

Snapdragon Fireworks
Shunran Evocation Cantrip
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 500 feet
Components: V, S
Duration: Instantaneous

A fiery ember shoots forth from your fingertip with a loud squeal or crackling noise, issues along a chaotic weaving path to a point you designate, and explodes in 40’ radius blast in any pattern or form you choose. Creatures in the area of effect must make a Dexterity saving throw or take 1 hit point of damage. This increases to 2 points at 5th level, 3 points at 11th and 4 points at 17th level.

You do not have to target any creatures. This spell is meant to signal or entertain and is usually targeted at high points up in the sky.

At higher levels: Unlike other cantrips, you may choose to put real spell power behind the firework. Cast as a 2nd level spell the damage is in d4’s (1d4 at 3rd, 2d4 at 5th, 3d4 at 11th and 4d4 at 17th). Cast as a 4th level spell the damage is in d6’s, as a 6th level spell the effect is in d8’s and at 8th level it’s in d10’s.

Nellisir

Hero
I'd add something to the description about the visibility of the explosion, and ditch the justification/rationale in the last line.

Michael Morris

First Post
Wouldn't that fall under the heading of "common sense"? A fireworks explosion at night can be seen for miles. Even in the day it should be visible for a couple miles. I have the line on how the spell is used to keep players and DM's from scratching their heads about how low the damage is.

Nellisir

Hero
Wouldn't that fall under the heading of "common sense"? A fireworks explosion at night can be seen for miles. Even in the day it should be visible for a couple miles. I have the line on how the spell is used to keep players and DM's from scratching their heads about how low the damage is.

Just say it's a "brilliant" explosion or something like that. You don't need an actual visibility radius. Right now there's nothing that makes this any more noticeable than a fireball. (Although depending on terrain, fireworks aren't all that visible past two miles or so. I've sat on a mountain and watched 8 different fireworks shows simultaneously, each within a few miles of at least one other show. This spell only goes up 500 ft; that's 1/10th of a mile; not very high above the horizon. 9 degrees, I think).

DMs and players can figure out the use of the spell without it being scripted for them.

Remove ads