Firing a Ranged Weapon into melee?

brunswick

First Post
Hiya folks,

Apologies if this has been asked before.

I was quickly searching the PHB last night for a rule re firing into melee but I couldnt locate one. Is there a penalty applied to these sorta attacks (-2 would seem sensible but I cant find anything). Admittedly, it was a rather cursory search so maybe I just didnt see it.

Thanks,

Bruns. :)

JosephK

First Post
It has sorta been moved to a bonus instead of a penalty.. Both warlocks and rangers get "prime shot" which is a +1 bonus, if you're the closest person to the enemy (representing that no melee is going on between the target and you).

frankthedm

First Post
No penalty as far as I know; your allies do not provide cover for the target, but enemies do. Realistic? Nope. Fun? Yep.
:confused: That depends which side of the missile fire you are on! When over a dozen javelin chucking minions pincushion the wizard because he roasted 3 of them at once last round, the reduced value of cover is a lot less fun.

jbear

First Post
yes but now the wizard doesnt have to crap his pants from being hit by a javelin or two, plus with the use of a feat u can have him wearing leather armour... so it balances it out anyway...

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
For explicitness' sake, there are two different penalties in 3.5. Here's what happened to them in 4e:

Firing into melee. In 3.5 you take -4 to attack if your target is adjacent to someone who threatens him in melee, which can be removed with Precise Shot. In 4e this penalty is gone and replaced with a prime shot ability for some classes (the designers decided not to make your character lose two feat slots).

Cover. In 3.5 you take -4 to attack if there is anything at all blocking line of sight. In 4e it's only -2 and allies no longer count for this purpose, but enemies and objects still do. Also there's the whole superior cover thing.

-blarg

what happens if you miss by 2? do you hit the enemies ally?

I always interpreted the rule as: your targets enemies don´t provide them cover.
Reason: it doesn´t matter to you if you hit them instead of your intended target, but you have to be careful not to hit your own allies...

but... whatever^^

Remove ads