First 2 Encounters Seasons hit DnDClassics.com

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
I suspected this might happen last week when Vault of the Dracolich hit the PDF store.

Dark Sun: Fury of the Wastewalker (4e)
Undermountain: Halaster's Lost Apprentice (4e)

Mapless (not printed) but still useful for 4e fans that didn't participate in Encounters in the early seasons.

Once they shifted the Encounters seasons to pay products it makes more sense why Dungeon is going dark.

This way they won't have to reformat them for the Dungeon landscape layout.

http://www.dndclassics.com/product/120836/Dark-Sun-Fury-of-the-Wastewalker-(4e)

http://www.dndclassics.com/product/120835/Undermountain-Halasters-Lost-Apprentice-(4e)

Last edited:

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
Mapless but still useful for 4e fans that didn't participate in Encounters in the early seasons.

Mapless? Like in "no maps at all", "without encounter maps", or "no overland map" - or dungeon map in the Halaster case?

The description on the DNDClassics site is a bit weird. Do I see it right that both adventures are targeted at 1st level characters?

And assuming that all Encounters seasons will be published in this way, what is good and interesting from a player's perspective?

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
One of the appeals of the Encounters program and running the adventures was getting the large pre-printed maps. These are either just the booklet or the booklet plus PDFs of the maps. Printing a 24-30 map is quite expensive.

Halaster is the booklet only. There are maps in the booklet (black & white) like a normal adventure.

Fury of the Wastewalker is 3 booklets and color pdfs of the maps.

One of the nice things about the 3 seasons that were in Dungeon was they made them color art instead of the B&W in the originals.

I think most seasons were for levels 1-3. 4e is very scalable so I've run them at Heroic tier.

darjr

I crit!
I didn't realize that season 2 was Dark Sun! I think it's a great idea they are putting these up. Should have done so from the beginning. Maybe delayed, but the encounter sessions I've run a PDF would have been handy.

Very cool.

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
And assuming that all Encounters seasons will be published in this way, what is good and interesting from a player's perspective?

3 Encounters seasons have already been reprinted: Beyond the Crystal Cave, Season 7 (winter 2011) in February 2013, Dungeon 211; The Elder Elemental Eye, Season 8 (spring 2012) in May 2013, Dungeon 214, and Dark Legacy of Evard, Season 5 (summer 2011) in October 2013, Dungeon 219.

Most seasons of Encounters were levels 1 to 3 in an accelerated format.

Season 11: War of the Everlasting (winter 2012) was unusual in that it was 1st to 8th in a 'level a week' format.
Season 13: Storm Over Neverwinter (Spring 2013) was 3rd to 6th, or 4th to 6th depending on which blurb you were reading. It was a loose follow-up adventure to Season 6, The Lost Crown of Neverwinter (Fall 2011).
Season 14: Search for the Diamond Staff (Summer 2013) was 4th to 6th and a direct tie-in from the 2013 Game Day adventure, Vault of the Dracolich.

Starting with season 12 (Against the Cult of Chaos) adventures were given DDN stats in the Playtest packets and could be run in 4e or DDN.

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
Based on the Wizards front page, looks like Season 4 March of the Phantom Brigade is coming too.

Between Encounters PDFs, Game Day PDFs, and Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle I'm pretty excited for the upcoming PDF schedule.

DnDClassics release day is up there with Paizo PF minis previews on Fridays for web news excitement.

Sweet. Its always nice to see when WotC remembers to support the current edition of D&D! lol. Sometimes you'd almost think 4e was some ancient forgotten product for all the love it gets.

Remove ads