First 5e house rule - Brutal Hit!

Pallidore

Explorer
This one's simple. If you have advantage and both dice come up 20, you score a brutal hit. x4 damage.

Like it. As with all such rules, it's unfortunately going to have a higher probability of adversely affecting the characters, since they are in combat more than individual monsters who usually make a single appearance.

Michael Morris

First Post
While true, it still leads to some fun stories. And it's sufficiently rare that it's unlikely to bust the game apart.

For example, in 3e I houseruled that if you rolled 20 on the confirm roll you rolled again to confirm an even larger crit. This was open ended. Player got x4 damage on a dragon this way (rolling 19, 20, 20, 17 to hit)

This will be rarer than the 3e open ended system I was using without adding any extra die rolls.

nnms

First Post
That's a cool idea. Though I'm thinking of going for instant 0 hit points. Both dice with advantage come up 20? Target goes unconscious and starts making death saves.

evilbob

Explorer
Might be easier (and slightly more tame while still being awesome) to say that you roll your damage dice a third time (twice for the crit, third time for the brutal crit).

Michael Morris

First Post
Nah, x3 is boring compared to how often it will be relevant. Double 20's is a 1 in 400 shot. How many advantage rolls will be made in a session? 20 or so I'd imagine (5 per player). So there's a 1 in 20 shot of the rule coming up in a given session. Meaning it will likely only come up once every couple months or so in play, assuming one session a week. So given the rarity, I don't think x4 is going to shake the balance of the game. And it will make for a fun story.

Remove ads