D&D General First official D&D game product you owned?

What was the first official Dungeons & Dragons product you owned?

• Original 1974 boxed set

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • Original D&D supplement (Blackmoor)

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • D&D Basic set (1977/1981/1983)

Votes: 79 45.1%
  • D&D BECMI set (Expert/Companion/Master/Immortals)

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • D&D Rules Cyclopedia

• D&D Basic/BECMI general supplement (Creature Catalogue)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • D&D Basic/BECMI setting supplement (D&D Gazetteers)

• D&D Basic/BECMI adventure (Keep on the Borderlands)

• AD&D 1e core (MM/PHB/DMG)

Votes: 24 13.7%
  • AD&D 1e general supplement (Deities & Demigods)

• AD&D 1e setting-specific supplement (World of Greyhawk)

• AD&D 1e general adventure (Tomb of Horrors)

• AD&D 1e setting-specific adventure (Dragonlance modules)

• AD&D 2e starter set (First Quest/Introduction to/Adventure Game)

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • AD&D 2e core (PHB/MM/DMG)

Votes: 20 11.4%
  • AD&D 2e general supplement (Tome of Magic, Player's Option series)

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • AD&D 2e setting-specific supplement (Dark Sun Campaign Setting)

• AD&D 2e general adventure (The Rod of Seven Parts)

• AD&D 2e setting-specific adventure (Ravenloft modules)

• D&D 3e starter set (Adventure Game/Basic Game)

• D&D 3e core (PHB/MM/DMG, 3.0 or 3.5)

Votes: 10 5.7%
  • D&D 3e general supplement (Book of Nine Swords)

• D&D 3e setting-specific supplement (Magic of Faerun)

• D&D 3e general adventure (The Sunless Citadel)

• D&D 3e setting-specific adventure (Eberron modules)

• D&D 4e Starter Set (2008/2010)

• D&D 4e original core (PHB/MM/DMG)

• D&D 4e expanded core (PHB 2/3, MM 2/3, DMG 2)

• D&D 4e Essentials core (Rules Compendium, Heroes of the Fallen Lands, DM's Kit, etc.)

• D&D 4e general supplement (Martial Power, Heroes of the Feywild)

• D&D 4e setting-specific supplement (Dark Sun Creature Catalog)

• D&D 4e general adventure (Keep on the Shadowfell)

• D&D 4e setting-specific adventure (Seekers of the Ashen Crown)

• D&D Next general adventure (Dead in Thay)

• D&D 5e Starter Set (includes Essentials Kit, Stranger Things)

• D&D 5e core rules (PHB/MM/DMG)

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • D&D 5e general supplement (Tasha's Cauldron of Everything)

• D&D 5e setting-specific supplement (Eberron: Rising from the Last War)

• D&D 5e adventure (Storm King's Thunder)

• Other (please specify)

• I've never owned an official D&D product

• (late add) D&D Basic set (1991/1994, New Easy-to-Master/Classic)

• Poll closed .

Musing Mage

Pondering D&D stuff
1983 Red Box all the way.

I actually regret giving all of that original stuff away in my foolish 20s when I felt I was 'done with D&D' (man was that an epic lack of foresight).

Granted, I gave it to the young lad who would eventually be the father of my niece... and he still has it all... so at least it's in the family somewhat. :unsure:

Laurefindel

Legend
Other - the titan and frost giant D&D action figures, if that counts. Christmas gift at my grand-ma when I was 8, 9 maybe? My brother had the half-orc assassin dude and my cousin had Venger that year.

not that I knew they were D&D-branded toys, or what D&D was for that matter…

and although it’s not D&D per se, honorable menton to those who, like me, had the « prehistoric animals » that inspired the owlbear, rust monster, hook horror (and others I don’t remember). Don’t remember how old I was, nor whether my parents care too much about choking hazards when I was a toddler…

JEB

Legend
You could've just called this thread "Tell us you're old without telling us you're old".
We're a bunch of oldies, 40%+ of basic set!
Well, looking at the responses...I draw one conclusion from the ones I see thus far...(only 5 voting for anything after 3e as their start)...

We are a bunch of OLD foggy players.
That was my introduction, receiving the 1991 black boxed set as a gift when I was a kid.
Now I'm really wishing the basic sets were split out more... I forgot there were some in 91 and 94 and was picturing the board being older than it might be from the responses.
I didn't really intend this as a stealth demographic poll, but since it might be skewing folks' interpretation of the results, should I add an option for the 1991/1994 Basic sets as a separate thing? While I can't edit the poll options I have, I can apparently add new ones. (Everyone who got the 1991/1994 Basic set would have to change their answer, though.)

Since the Holmes/Moldvey/Mentzer basic sets seem to dominate as a whole, I'm curious how those breakdown.
It does seem like a follow-up poll on specific versions would be interesting, yeah.

JEB

Legend
ironically, with the march of modern technology, you could do that now. All of the loose leaf MC books are available from DTRPG (I think), and if you really wanted to, you could download them all, print them all out to one monster per page (some would be two sided, most wouldn't, depending on if the monster originally took up two pages or not), and with about 5-6 big binders, you could do it all. It would be an enormous expense in download fees, paper, and ink, but you could do it....
I (eventually) managed to gather together all the looseleaf MCs, and they take up (counts) seven binders on my bookshelf. But the idea of a properly alphabetized version is appealing... I think there are a few still missing on DTRPG, however (and a few that are on there apparently have errors).

JEB

Legend
I chose other. I had the Holmes Basic book which could be purchased separately, but not the actual set. I remember being disappointed, because I had asked for the Advanced Player's Handbook and my aunt and uncle got me the wrong book. Later, I came to really like the cover and the example adventure with the pirate cave and was disappointed when the book was stolen along with other gaming stuff and my truck.
Personally, I would count a partial Holmes Basic set as having the Basic set, but choose whatever seems right to you! (And sorry to hear about the theft.)

JEB

Legend
and although it’s not D&D per se, honorable menton to those who, like me, had the « prehistoric animals » that inspired the owlbear, rust monster, hook horror (and others I don’t remember). Don’t remember how old I was, nor whether my parents care too much about choking hazards when I was a toddler…
I had those as well when I was very little (dinosaurs had a place in my heart well before the Fiend Folio), but didn't notice that those weird not-dinosaurs had a D&D connection until the internet told me so...

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I didn't really intend this as a stealth demographic poll, but since it might be skewing folks' interpretation of the results, should I add an option for the 1991/1994 Basic sets as a separate thing? While I can't edit the poll options I have, I can apparently add new ones. (Everyone who got the 1991/1994 Basic set would have to change their answer, though.)

That would be cool.

Remove ads