D&D 5E First Session of HotDQ - WOW, what a meatgrinder

Halivar

First Post
I've played in a couple sessions of a custom campaign, and I supposed from that experience that 5E was going to be another super-heroic game. Tonight I took a stab at running it, using HotDQ, Chapter 1: Greenest in Flames.

Holy crap.

In every fight, at least one person went down. In every other fight, at least TWO people went down. In order to coax the players out of the keep for subsequent missions, I gave Governor Nighthill a secret cache of healing potions that he doled out on an as-needed basis. Eventually I had to resort to planting them on fallen enemies as loot just to stave off the constant threat of TPK. Thanks to kobold Pack Tactics (advantage if ally within 5 feet), each encounter was guaranteed to be a brutal battle of attrition. And while I did hand out potions, I played the fights straight, and each enemy used his abilities to his best. The kobolds stayed packed and gained advantage as often as possible. When the casters ran out of area spells, the sight of closely packed kobolds was unnerving for everyone at the table.

The players in this group all learned D&D either through 4E or Pathfinder, and they're kind of used to super-heroic action and being whirling Cuisinart's of death. Halfway through Greenest in Flames, even the most brash and blustery player was cowed by the sight of kobolds and their acolyte masters. By the time they got around to the blue dragon at the Keep, they had had enough. They negotiated through a securely barred door until the dragon flew away. They knew this adventure was out to kill them.

This made the finale with Lingdedrosa Cyanwrath all the more poignant. The players knew this was an unwinnable fight. Xandrie the human fighter went out willingly to face her death, and the adventure, as written and executed, obliged her.

Holy crap, it feels like that old school magic is back.

Thank Dog

Banned
Banned
Cyanwrath gets two attacks, and the second easily cleared the Instant Death threshold.
I ran this for a 2nd-level moon druid. Shapeshifted into a brown bear and got him to just 10 health before dropping. Even the "deathstroke" (the death save he inflicts after the combat is finished) wasn't enough to kill him outright. Would've been so epic if he'd just lasted one more round.

Thats why I had him use his spear in the first fight.
I had him start with the spear and after about 30 hit points of damage and the bear druid still being up, I had him drop it with a snarl and unsheathe the greatsword. It was cool 'cause everyone was like, "Oh crap, now he's serious!" :D

Tony Vargas

Legend
Episode one of HotDQ suffers from the same problem as the Irontooth and Kalarel fights from KotS: not following the encounter guidelines.

Maybe it's because WotC just didn't provide Kobold Press with final guidelines? IDK.

But, if you run the numbers, Seek the Keep, for instance, is a deadly encounter followed (and perhaps, preceded) by one or more hard encounters, all before any chance of a short rest.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Maybe it's because WotC just didn't provide Kobold Press with final guidelines? IDK.

The final guidelines still don't exist, so it was a bit tricky for WotC to provide them. :)

That, and monster design was changing greatly during HotDQ design.

Cheers!

Halivar

First Post
I was not going to use the spear. The opponent chose a great sword as well, so I felt it was apropos for Cyanwrath to use his as well. Also, I wanted to emphasize the deadliness to raise the stakes in this campaign. In this, I feel the adventure was a great success.

Last edited:

Wormwood

Adventurer
Also, not following the encounter guidelines is not a problem.

Took us a while to realize that we're no longer playing in a world that is perfectly scaled to our level. We're now approaching potential threats much more (dare I say it) 'realistically'.

Remove ads