• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

First Sight: A d20 Modern Story Hour (Updated 01-03-2008)

Lamprolign

First Post
[This post is from Jodo Kast ... Lamprolign posted on my machine last and I forgot to log him out]

Thanks Krellic and cthuluftaghn! We're using the Shadow Chasers mini-game from Polyhedron right now, and from what I've heard the rules are fairly faithful to d20 Modern. We'll find out soon I guess!

As for Joshua's question about music, I like to prep rock tunes for modern gaming. Everything from Jeff Buckley's Nightmares of the Sea or Last Goodbye, to the Rolling Stones' Paint It Black, to the Pixies' Where Is My Mind, to Love Spit Love's Am I Wrong. Also the tunes that we've quoted to open each story hour installment. I find this kind of stuff sets the mood perfectly. For a really dark moment, Glenn Danzig did an orchestral album called Black Aria. Heavy, dark instrumental stuff. It's good for those moments when tension is building to a crescendo and all hell is about to break loose.

Also in response to Joshua, I don't think we'll increase the party size for this game, probably keep this one running solo. The interaction between the protagonist (Gabriel Ansgar) and the NPCs is the essence of the story, and more PCs might muddy the waters. However, I've got plans for a larger group in a different d20 Modern scenario. It will retain a lot of the dark elements found in our First Sight stuff, but should have more light moments as well. Basically the tone of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. From what I've seen of d20 Modern thus far it will probably incorporate elements of both the Shadow Chasers and Urban Arcana style games.

Stay tuned, the first big action scenes are coming up soon!

Last edited:

Mystic

First Post
I was hoping to see another installment waiting to be read :p

You've got a great story in the works, I can see it as anime already...adult geered and dark of course. Keep it coming!!!

::Waiting (impatiently) for the next instalment::

Jodo Kast

First Post
Not that I'm one to talk, I haven't been able to update my own story in ages ... but come on Lamprolign, send me some new write-ups already!

Lamprolign

First Post
Heeeeeeee's Back ....

I wish I was the brakeman
on a hurtlin' fevered train
crashin' head long into the heartland
like a cannon in the rain
with the feelin' of the sleepers
and the burnin' of the coal
countin' the towns flashin' by
and a night that's full of soul

-The Waterboys, Fisherman's Blues

“Who are you talking to Gabe?” Jack Casey asked, moving toward Gabe.

“I… uh,” Gabe stammered. Embarrassed, he looked toward Jack Casey. A pale yellowish glow flickered in the detective’s eyes.

“Oh :):):):).”

Jack moved steadily towards Gabe. In one fluid motion he drew his 9mm Baretta pistol from beneath his overcoat and trained it on Gabe’s head.

“You really should have taken the detective’s advice about carrying a sidearm Gabriel.” The voice was Jack’s but changed, deeper and resonating.

RUN!

Gabe’s legs moved quicker than his mind, speeding him towards the side of the house. The report of a gunshot rang out behind him, the unseen bullet sending up a spray of snow to his side. Gabe swerved and vaulted the low chain-link fence, cutting his hand in the process. Red splotches marred the white ground where Gabe ran. His ears told him that Jack was close on his heels.

This is bad,” Mary’s voice flashed in Gabe’s mind.

“Oh, really?” Gabe panted. “What on earth would give you that idea!”

This is no time for sarcasm, he knows that you’ve seen him.” Mary retorted. “You’re a threat to him.”

"I'm a threat to him?! That maniac's shooting at me!"

"Us ... he's shooting at US!"

Gabe crashed through a scraggly evergreen hedge onto an icy sidewalk. Jack was seconds behind him.

No good, Gabe thought. Too open, easy shot. Gabe ran across the street, cutting between houses, keeping as many obstacles between himself and Jack as he could. Another fence, another hedge, another street. Gabe had no idea where he was running. The houses were older, more dilapidated. He cut again between houses. Gabe looked behind him. He didn’t see Jack.

"Gabe, watch ...!" Suddenly wood snapped underfoot and the world fell away beneath him. He experienced an instant of freefall before landing in a heap on a cold stone surface.

Gabe’s head throbbed from the impact with stone. He opened his eyes slowly and found himself staring at a waxing gibbous moon through a jagged opening. Gingerly he tried moving his arms, then his legs. Good, nothing broken. Gabe was lying at the foot of stone stairs, an old cellar entrance above. Mildew and lichen gave the stone surfaces a mottled appearance in the dim light. Miniature frozen waterfalls evidenced chronic leaks around the once dilapidated, now destroyed cellar door.

You had better move, he’s getting closer.” Mary’s voice held an urgency which jolted Gabe from his concussed reverie.

“Well, Gabriel,” Jack Casey’s voice floated down eerily from above. “You’ve certainly made things easy for me.”

The moon was eclipsed by Jack’s head and torso leaning over the ruined cellar door. One arm was outstretched. Gabe saw the faint glint of moonlight off of the gun barrel.

Caer’aroon naes naeor,” Mary’s voice intoned inside Gabe’s head. Again, “Caer’aroon naes naeor.”

Caer’aroon naes naeor.” Gabe heard his own voice speaking the words. His arms lifted of their own volition, pointing directly at Jack’s chest.

Caer’aroon naes naeor!"

Blue fire erupted from Gabe’s hands, streaming upward to strike Jack Casey full in the chest. Jack issued an inhuman scream and fell from sight.

MOVE! NOW!” Mary’s voice reverberated in Gabe’s head.

Gabe scrambled to his feet, running up the uneven stairs. Jack lay on his back writhing some feet away. Small tendrils of smoke rose in wisps, glowing in the moonlight. Gabe ran faster than he thought possible. His heartbeat thundered in his ears, his lungs felt as if they might burst, but he felt as he never had before. He noticed that his hands were surrounded by faint blue light.

I’m amazed that worked.” Mary’s voice held both relief and a more than a little disbelief. “You are more than a seer, Mr. Investigator.”

Gabe could not spare the breath to reply, nor was his battered brain capable of forming words, let alone a coherent sentence. Gabe cast a furtive glance over his shoulder in time to see the muzzle flash of Jack’s pistol. He felt the burning trace of the bullet across his temple a split second before hearing the gunshot. He staggered and fell to his knees, but quickly recovered and ran on. Warm blood ran in rivulets down his face, occluding vision in his right eye. Behind him he heard more gunshots. Jack had abandoned all caution after losing his prey.

Gabe noticed now that there were no houses on the streets. Abandoned warehouses, dilapidated brick structures, rose three or four stories above. The area looked familiar. There were many homicide scenes around the old railway warehouses on the south side of the city. He wondered how close he was to the Orange Line…

Left! Now!” cried Mary.

Gabe angled sharply to his left, down a narrow alley. A quick look showed Jack about 20 yards behind him and closing fast. Gabe heard nothing but the roaring of his breath, his pounding pulse, and each footfall on the rough pavement. Ahead he saw illuminated mists which obscured the alley’s end. He was reminded of a recurring nightmare which had plagued him from childhood. In the dream he was always running from something terrifying. Something which he could not see, yet filled him with dread.

Gabe tripped on an unseen obstacle and tumbled out of the mists. Cold gravel pressed into his face. He looked up to see train rails inches from his nose. He looked back to the railway dock of the old warehouses. Jack Casey burst from the mist and leapt from the elevated dock, his overcoat spread behind him like leathern wings. Gabe rolled to his right, Jack’s foot slamming into the gravel where his head had been an instant before. Gabe floundered in the gravel. Jack grabbed his coat collar with one hand, lifting Gabe off the ground and hurling him into the air.

He lay there for a moment, dazed, blinded in one eye by the blood gushing from the wound on his forehead. Once again he felt himself flying through the air. Lights exploded in his head when his trajectory was stopped short by a railway signal pole. Gabe’s world began to dissolve…

Get up!” Mary’s voice cried out. “He’s ready to finish you!”

Gabe moved his arms with great difficulty. His hand brushed against something cold, round, metallic. He seized it. Through his one clear eye he watched Jack Casey walking slowly toward him like a predator, confident that the prey is spent.

Voraes ni tuagh banigh.”

A warm tingling began in Gabe’s spine and spread to his arms and legs. He felt strength return to his extremities. His grip on the pipe tightened. Jack stopped an arm’s length from Gabe’s prone form. An empty clip fell to the ground inches from Gabe’s ear. He heard the metallic scrape and click of a new clip sliding into place. In his mind’s eye he saw Jack slowly extending his arm, the Baretta pointed at his head. Gabe rolled, swinging the pipe with strength born of desperation. It struck Jack’s outstretched hand, sending the pistol skittering across the gravel.

With both hands on the pipe Gabe swung again. This time the pipe struck Jack’s knee with a sickening wet crunch. An inhuman howl echoed through the mists. Gabe continued to roll. He saw Jack’s Baretta laying only feet away. Gabe felt a slight rumble in the ground beneath him. Something looked familiar about this place … he remembered. They were on the tracks used by the Orange Line on its spur to Midway Airport and South Cicero. Gabe had seen these warehouses many times from the train. It must be approaching dawn, and the first run of the southside to downtown loop was on its way.

Gabe frantically scrambled for the pistol. He felt a sharp pain in the small of his back. Jack hammered two more blows into his kidneys before Gabe spun, swinging the pipe like a mace. Jack caught the pipe mid-swing, holding it fast. The rumble in the ground became an audible roar as the Orange Line train grew near. In his peripheral vision Gabe saw the Barretta lying on the gravel. In front of him Jack’s face was hardly recognizable, twisted and contorted, the eyes glowing with devilish yellow light. Gabe released the pipe and dove for the pistol. Gravel dug painfully into his elbows when he hit the ground. His hand closed around the butt of the pistol. He rolled with the momentum and came up on one knee, the pistol trained on Jack Casey’s chest. Jack growled as he rushed forward. Gabe’s finger tightened on the trigger. The report of the pistol rang above the din of the approaching train.

Jack stopped. He looked quizzically at the hole in his coat and the bloody froth that emerged each time he drew a breath. For a moment the yellow glow in his eyes vanished, his face softened. Gabe's hands shook. It happened so fast. He'd never shot a person before ... never even been in a real fight.

“Gabe?”

The yellow fire returned. Jack snarled, bloody foam trailing from his mouth, and lunged at Gabe.

:):):):)!” Gabe pulled the trigger twice more. The first shot was errant, flying unseen into the night. The second shot found its mark, slamming home into Jack’s chest.

Jack fell to his knees on the tracks. When their eyes met, the yellow glow was gone.

“I’m sorry, Gabe,” he said, spitting blood with each word.

“Jack.”

A train horn and a bright light shattered the moment. One instant Jack Casey was before him coughing blood, the next the blurred lights of train windows streaked past.

Gabe stumbled backwards in horror. He turned and ran from the tracks and down a black alley. He didn’t know if it was the same one he had come out of or not. His rational mind was shutting down. Gabe was running on instinct. He didn’t know how long or how far he ran. Exhaustion claimed him outside of an indistinct abandoned warehouse. Snow was falling again, and the eastern sky was lightening with the coming dawn. Gabe entered the warehouse through a broken door, seeking some shelter from the bitter wind blowing off of the lake. Gabe huddled in a small room that once served as an office in the warehouse. He felt consciousness slipping away.

Gabe, there’s someone else in here…

© 2002 Austin Hale

Last edited:

Jodo Kast

First Post
Good work on the new post, Lamprolign. It only took three months! ;) I have the task of writing up the next entry, although it's been awhile since we covered this ground, so I'll have to burn some cobwebs in the ol' cranium. I'm still trying to decide on the right musical quote ... going to be hard to top the Waterboys entry I gave Lampy last time. I'll post the next installment sometime this week ... the action only heats up from here, folks!

Jodo Kast

First Post
A long time ago before the ice and the snow
There were giants that walked this land
And with each step they took, the mighty mountains shook
And the trees took a knee and the seas rolled in
Then one day they say the sky gave way
And death rained down, it made a terrible sound
There was fire everywhere and nothin' was spared
That walked on the land or flew through the air
And when it all was over
The slate wiped clean with a touch
There God stood and he saw it was good
And He said "ashes to ashes and dust to dust"

- Steve Earle, Ashes to Ashes

"Gabe, there's someone else in here...."

The crime scene investigator named Gabriel Ansgar lay senseless on the floor of an abandoned warehouse. An angry blue welt was rising beneath his left eye. A rust-colored track of dried blood ran across his temple. His clothes were torn and crumpled. From this unlikely host emerged something like an angel.

Her form rose up from the detective, a translucent, shimmering apparition. The girl was slight of build, with fine features, porcelain skin, pale hair, and eyes like blue watercolor. With each passing second her form became more substantial, until finally she appeared as solid and real as the slumbering investigator. This was Mary Johansson.

The girl held her hand up before her face, watching it materialize, substantiate, before her very eyes. She looked down at the detective and turned, taking in her dingy surroundings. They were still in the warehouse. Gabe was on the floor. And she was not in his head. The girl leapt in the air and pumped her fists.

"WOO-HOO!"

She landed on one foot and high-kicked the other leg, her long black coat whipping about her. Now that she was back in the material world, she felt the sting of cold wind in the drafty warehouse and was thankful Poe had loaned the coat to her. Poe! And the Sister ... just wait until they hear about this!

The wind blew harder, howling through the open entryway. The girl stopped in mid-spin and her smile melted. She heard footfalls, distant, yet impossibly loud, and remembered. We're not alone.

Hesitantly she walked to the gaping door. Pressing her body flat against the interior wall, she cautiously peered outside with one eye. It was early morning, and though the sun had climbed above the edge of the world she could not see it through the gray haze that cloaked the warehouse district. The buildings seemed to melt into one another, the streetlamps rose listlessly from the roadside and almost seemed to waver in the hard wind. Not a person nor car was too be seen. Had the neighborhood seemed so barren when she and Gabe traversed it just moments before? It was as if Mary had regained her material form, only to find the world insubstantial.

In the distance, a sable form cut through the endless sea of gray. It appeared to be a man, though it was too distant to be certain. But it was moving fast, with purpose, straight toward Mary. Each footfall echoed through the empty streets. Though it could not have seen her, not yet, Mary was certain she saw its head tilt slightly in her direction. Then she heard the voice, a low, malevolent growl that began in the pit of her stomach and spread like liquid fire to her brain.

"What's the matter, girl? Not so brave now that you're in my world, are you?"

Mary whipped her head inside the doorframe, her form sliding weakly down the wall until she sat trembling on the floor. For what seemed like an eternity she sat there, her knees tucked up against her and her arms wrapped tightly about them. The demon was here. But where was here, anyway?

"You can't hide forever, Mary. You should run. I like it when they run."

Mary's eyes fixed on Gabe's slumbering form. He was in no condition to help her, but if she could rouse him at least she would not be alone. She dashed across the floor and shook him violently, but to no avail. He was dead to the world. Mary clenched her teeth together resolutely.

Okay, demon. Just you and me. If that's the way it's gonna be, I'm not gonna make this easy for you.

The dark figure stalked down the deserted road, casting a shadow far too long and broad, a shadow that wavered and crackled on the pavement like black fire. Its head turned from side to side as it passed, sniffing at the buildings about it, hunting patiently for its quarry.

"Hey tall, dark and ugly. Over here."

The figure stopped in its tracks and looked up. There, in the street before it, stood the girl, her snowy hair and dark coat whipping in the wind. The demon's face regarded her, and from the shadow she caught a glimpse of shining teeth and glowing amber eyes. Its shadow lengthened, an organic darkness that writhed over the pavement to engulf her own small shadow.

The girl resolutely stood her ground. She extended her arms and clasped her hands together, her thumbs and forefingers extended in the shape of a pistol.

"Tharae curoon taranis!"

Energy crackled and coalesced about the girl's form, tracing its way down her arms and exploding from her outstretched fingers in a jagged bolt of blue-white lightning that struck the demon square in the chest. Staggered back, the demon emitted an inhuman howl. But even as wisps of energy danced and crackled about her enemy, Mary saw something that chilled her to the core. The light of the electricity traced the outline of the demon's face, the square jaw, the receding brown hair ... it was the face of Gabriel Ansgar. The demon smiled.

"My turn."

The demon's long shadow writhed on the ground, and Mary's eyes went wide as the shadow sprouted corporeal tendrils that rose up to entangle her, pulling at her clothes, binding her wrists. The Gabe-demon snapped its fingers and a tiny spark leapt from its fingertips in a high, slow arc. The spark floated gently to the ground some five feet away, landing in the demon's squirming shadow. Where the spark landed, the shadow ignited in a sheet of flame which raced towards Mary, climbing the grasping tendrils and engulfing the girl in a living wall of shadow and fire. The demon threw back its head in a horrifying bay, part bark, part laughter.

But as the flames blazed, the laughter died and the Gabe-demon's face changed from insane glee, to shock, to grudging respect. Before it stood the girl, her arms braced together in front of her. The flames licked at the perimeter of an unseen protective sphere. The girl began chanting again.

"Thoran mihal thaeun."

Mary rose into the air above the flames and hovered there, glaring down at the demon. Her body felt alive with power, her spells more potent than ever before. She was beginning to think she might actually survive this....

The Gabe-demon gnashed its teeth and snarled at the levitating girl, opening its jaw impossibly wide. A ball of fire erupted from its maw and hurtled toward Mary. The projectile struck her defensive sphere, shattering it into a million fragments of mystic energy. The flaming orb itself flared out around the girl, reforming into the shape of a giant jaw lined with a million fiery teeth. Mary let out a tiny gasp. The jaw slammed shut around her, encapsulating her in a burning ball of anguish.

It seemed she hung there for an eternity, burning. Then she was falling. Her shadow grew to greet her as she plummeted to the asphalt, landing in a smoldering heap. The last thing she saw was the demon, its arms outstretched in triumph.

"Looks like I've got the place all to myself now." The Gabe-demon surveyed the barren street. A yellow strip of crime scene tape fluttered past him in the wind, the only color visible against the gray landscape. "I just hope this husk serves me better than the last."

© 2003 Austin Hale

Last edited:

The Sister

First Post
Very good story development so far. This was a turn in the story that I'd not expected, and I enjoyed it. The next installment MUST come soon!

Remove ads