First SpaceX Crewed Launch today (5/27) at 4:30 PM

Ryujin

Legend
It was awesome. I think privatised space travel is the way ahead. I'm not totally sure, but aren't the current plans for an orbiting moon station next?

I thought that the, "Boots on the moon by 2024" line from the new comedy "Space Force" was a joke, but not according to the NASA website.

Theo R Cwithin

I cast "Baconstorm!"
It was an excitingly uneventful launch, and my heart was racing the whole time! Just a little vexed when the video cut out a couple seconds before the first stage stuck its landing,and then cut back in a couple seconds after with smoke still clearing. ;) Oh well.

Ryujin

Legend
It was an excitingly uneventful launch, and my heart was racing the whole time! Just a little vexed when the video cut out a couple seconds before the first stage stuck its landing,and then cut back in a couple seconds after with smoke still clearing. ;) Oh well.

I watched the live broadcasts that they did of the test landings, on the barge, and they explained the cut-out as the vibration and force of the landing rockets causing a temporary loss of signal during the landing. In the back of my head there is always the suspicion that they do on purpose so that they can hold off on releasing crash footage, but that's not the official explanation.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
In the back of my head there is always the suspicion that they do on purpose so that they can hold off on releasing crash footage

Dude, they aren't a TLA or something. They don't keep their failures a secret. They let things blow up and crash, and let you see it happen. Their Starship has blown up like four times on live camera, for pity's sake.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
In-laws' family were able to watch from a good long distance, posted short video clip on social media. No distant thunder of rocket, no blazing exhaust pillar. Silver streak moving upwards when you figured out where to look. Very happy enthused crowd.
I remember the last Apollo moon launch in real time, and felt like a kid all over again watching this.

Orius

Legend
I was kind of excited for this but what are my news feeds showing? Covid, worthless celebrity gossip, sports, and, well another matter....

Still, I'm glad to see that it's been successful so far.

Wait a minute. NASA is calling their return to the Moon project Artemis? What the hell is wrong with them?!

Last edited:

ccs

41st lv DM
Figures, I sit around doing much nothing for nearly two months & THIS Sat.? - when I wanted to be sitting in front of a screen? I had actually had important things to get done & had to settle for watching it via You Tube while eating dinner.

Ryujin

Legend
Dude, they aren't a TLA or something. They don't keep their failures a secret. They let things blow up and crash, and let you see it happen. Their Starship has blown up like four times on live camera, for pity's sake.

I did say that it was "in the back of my head", not my foremost thoughts ;)

Remove ads