• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E First Time Game Master

Binks

Explorer
Hello all,

I'm trying my hand at running a game for the first time ever and its going to be 5e for a couple. For context, I've never played it, but I've read the books. While I'm in my mid-30s, I only started gaming in 2008 with 4e. My life companion is a very experienced and very talented game master who is the only person I've ever played under. That, coupled with the fact that one of the two players I'll be running the game for is also very experienced, makes this pretty daunting. I've been a player in multiple, long 4e games and in a lot of various indie games. I have also participated in several of the really old Basic set games. Unfortunately, I missed out on the few AD&D sessions he has run, so I'm not familiar with it. So while I do have a fair amount of experience gaming to rely upon, I've never actually run one myself.

The advice I was given was to keep it simple as this is likely to just be one or two sessions. I'm most comfortable with 4e and the Apocalypse World family of games so that was the frame of reference. He said while it isn't Dungeon World, the best way to go for me would be to sort of treat it like Dungeon World except roll dice when I'm not sure how something would turn out instead of when fictional triggers occur. Wing it, keep interesting stuff happening, rely on genre tropes, don't be afraid to talk to the players about consequences if I'm unsure of what should happen when they barely fail a roll, and be careful of overwhelming the 2 PCs with too many mooks in combat.

So I think we're going to start with making a map together. I'm going to add three places. Then they'll take turns adding places until we have seven map features with story elements and adventuring sites. Then they'll make characters with Backgrounds and Bonds, Flaws, Ideals, Traits based on our map. Then we'll decide on some action going on somewhere and I'll start describing from there.

How does that sound? Any other advice for running a very short game or maybe just a single session?

Diem

Explorer
Keeping it simple is good. I just started to DM myself for my kids. What I'm doing is a homebrew hybrid. I take a pre-existing adventure module and adapt it to my homebrew setting. I change names and slight details but most of the work is done for me. I'm running Lost Mine of Phandelver and might roll into Tomb of Annihilation or something else. I'll decide when the time comes. DMs Guild is a good place to find affordable adventures. Just an idea.

Sent from my LG-H873 using EN World mobile app

Just focus on having fun. The more you worry the more you psych yourself out.
75% of DMing is narrative and balancing the table. It's system neutral. Focus on that and the story and the NPCs and the players should have fun.

Prepare a few encounters in advance. At first make more encounters than you need so you have alternates if the PCs surprise you. That way you don't need to try improvising an encounter.

Keep the setting simple so you don't need to worry about side rules. Not that there's many in 5e.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I recommend just running a small dungeon that the players agree ahead of time is the adventure location they want their characters to explore. I would also suggest you work with the players to establish why they want to do that and how their characters know and have come to trust each other. Once you have that buy-in, then start the adventure at the entrance of the dungeon in some kind of compelling way, perhaps with dramatic conflict right at the outset that demands their attention and action.

After that, the rest is just getting used to the rules of a new system and gauging the difficulty of challenges you've created. Run the game with an eye toward making rulings rather than getting bogged down in rules. Try to "win" by making choices that are fun for everyone and help create an exciting, memorable story during play.

Stalker0

Legend
Agreed, small and simple is the key for early dming, don't get fancy at all.

If your players have moments when they feel cool and special ... then you've done it. Years later players don't remember the crazy details or plot pieces...they remember the big heroic moments or the comedic scene that left everyone laughing at the table.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Know the rules as best you can, but don't sweat them. If you have experienced players and DMs at the table, don't be afraid ti ask for help. They likely know a rule you might have forgotten, so feel free to ask. "Do any of you know how this is handled?" If not, look it up if it won't take too long (or assign someone to look it up), make a ruling you think fair, with the caveat that it is subject to difference later if you find the rule, and keep things moving. As Maty Mercer recently said, you can run all of 5e using just ability score modifiers if you need to.

Sent from my SM-G900P using EN World mobile app

Oofta

Legend
Most people, particularly experienced players, are pretty forgiving of people who actually want to DM. Don't get too caught up in rules, and focus more on flow and having fun.

Ask for advice after the session. I've been DMing forever and I'm still improving, one of the ways I do that is to ask for feedback. What worked? What didn't.

Don't plan or try to guess PC's actions. If you have notes something like "When the PCs enter the tavern they will talk to Joe the half-orc bartender and ask about ..." you need to redo the scene. Have a broad brush-stroke of what the tavern is like, and know who Joe is. You may eventually have Joe call them over, or they may overhear a conversation. Improvising scenes and encounters makes for a much smoother and dynamic game, but like all skills it's something you learn by doing. Start out small and eventually you'll be improvising entire campaigns if you want.

Satyrn

First Post
I recommend just running a small dungeon that the players agree ahead of time is the adventure location they want their characters to explore.
Aye. This is easy. What you described, @Binks, - with creating a bunch of locations with the players - is far more complex. And more than you need to do for your first time.

If the dungeon delve iserith suggest doesn't appeal, then pick some other scenario that does. I'm sure your players are quite ready to buy into whatever scenario you present.

After running your initial scenario, if this becomes an ongoing game, is when I'd do the world building thing.

Stalker0

Legend
Don't work too hard. Seriously, it can be easy to get in the trap of thinking you have to stat up every character, plan every encounter to a tee when you first start out.

But its easy to get burned out that way and absolutely not necessary. Its better to practice making up rulings on the fly, because that's what DMing really is.

aco175

Legend
I find that by drawing the map first I can come up with room descriptions easier and make the dungeon flow better. Give limited choices to the players without railroading them. In dungeons this is the easiest. Do you go upstairs, downstairs, or straight. Maybe the left fork goes around the encounter and monsters or PCs can go around the back.

Don't be afraid to steal things from others and the internet. Find maps of towns and dungeons to make your life easier. Steal free things off DMsGuild and other sites.

1st level characters can be killed easily. 4 goblins may be too much unless you have surprise or tell the PCs it looks dangerous and let them decide to charge or not.

Remove ads