Fishing for a new system

Zappo

Explorer
Hi all,

I'm starting to think about the next campaign we're going to play after we wrap up our current Dark Heresy game. After playing a ton of systems over twenty years, I have a pretty good idea of what major problems I have with RPG systems (for my group, at least), and I'd love to get for our next game a system that at least makes a honest attempt to address them. None of the systems I'm familiar with do this, so I'm turning to you for advice.

The big problem we had with 3E was that mechanical complexity grows superlinearly with levels, so that the bookkeeping becomes increasingly more untolerable over time, plus it takes forever to decide tactics. On the other hand, we also had major problems with systems like e.g. Chaosium Call of Cthulhu where mechanical complexity is just too low for some players. The kicker is, the sweet spot is different for different people; I've got some players who love to have loads of weird powers that can alter the battlefield situation if we can just wait a minute for them to figure it out, and others who would like nothing more than roll to hit, roll to damage, next please. I hear that 5E attempts to address this by letting different characters in the same campaign use different rules, is this true? Does it really work? I've played a little bit of 4E, but no 5E at all.

Next, the big problem I have with Dark Heresy was that you can spend inordinate amounts of real time during downtime searching for gear or crafting gear or customizing gear. That stuff is fun, within limits. There are games where those limits get broken all the time. I have to admit that I'm not 100% clear on exactly what I want here, but I know that I hate spending an entire session rolling dice to see if you can find or craft every rare item in the game. I'd love suggestions.

And then there's the overspecialized characters. The guy who can kill damn near anything, but is utterly useless any time he's not killing something. He overshadows the other characters in combat, and sits on his thumbs outside combat, resulting in a worsened gaming experience for the group in both situations. Plus, anything that challenges him will wipe the floor with the rest of the group, and anything that's a reasonable challenge for the rest of the group will just get killed in the first two rounds by him. I'd like a system where that doesn't happen much. 3E was fairly good at this in combat, but sucked at this outside combat. DH looked promising at first, until you get a Vindicare Assassin and a high-charisma skillmonkey in the same group. Basically, during combat one plays and the other goes out for a smoke, then during social situations they switch. Ew.

Of course, a good DM has ways to deal with that, and I do, but if I'm to use a new system, I'd really like one that actually helps me rather than one I have to deal with. Currently, I have ideas for mechanics that could help with those problems, but I'd much happier if it turned out that somebody else out there had the same problems, built a system to address them, playtested it, and could sell it to me.

Suggestions, ideas?

Nytmare

David Jose
I think that 5E would probably be at least close to a good fit for you, but I think that if I were in your position, I might try to sell everyone on something way on the outside of what people were used to just to shock the system.

At the same time though, are your players up for a change? I've had my fair share of friends who liked what they liked and had no interest in playing differently.

Zappo

Explorer
When we're done with DH, everyone will be up for a change, and they definitely won't want to go back to the 3E family. 5E looks like a strong candidate, but I'd love to get pointers to things that are maybe outside the mainstream but seem to have potential.

kalil

Explorer
Check out Fragged Empire. Mid-crunch system where all characters are defined with primary (non-combat), vehicle combat and personal combat skills which means that you cannot specialize completely out of non-combat usefulness.

Zappo

Explorer
Check out Fragged Empire. Mid-crunch system where all characters are defined with primary (non-combat), vehicle combat and personal combat skills which means that you cannot specialize completely out of non-combat usefulness.
And it has a "spare time" system too! I'll definitely take a good look, thanks. It has a strongly-coupled setting, which is a bit of a minus for me (I'm fairly sure we'll want to go for a familiar setting this time). I'd love to hear more suggestions.

Nytmare

David Jose
I wouldn't say that they're outside the mainstream, but they're definitely outside of the kind of role playing games that you tend to get with D&D or Dark Heresy.

Dogs in the Vineyard is very different. It's a storytelling rpg that's missing the tabletop wargame aspect that I'd assume at least one of your players might want. It's a game about a cadre of paladin gunslingers built around a dice game and a framework of how problems (ie sins) are identified and dealt with. I know that it's been reskinned to look like Jedis wandering from galaxy to galaxy instead of lawmen going town to town, making it look like a typical fantasy world wouldn't be any problem.

Burning Wheel and Mouse Guard are going to get lumped in with Dogs in that it's combat and conflict resolution is so far removed from minis on a map that it might take a little bit of mental rewiring for some people to get. BW and MG are much more a game about how a character and his or her personality and quirks are going to interact with the mechanics of the story as opposed to how special abilities and powers are going to combo together and interact. Burning Wheel is somewhat typical fantasy based, but could be converted to anything. Mouse Guard is a Burning Wheel Lite game that grew from the Mouse Guard comic books and is about...and people always get the wrong impression of this story, but it's an early Renaissance era(?)ish world of mouse knights protecting their realm and surviving in a world beset by both mundane dangers and the ever present threat of the Weasel Empire. It's not cute. These aren't fluffy mice with squeaky voices in a Disney movie, this is the Rats of NIMH meets Game of Thrones.

I'm running out the door, so I can't do a write up of the other two games I'm going to recommend, but look into (or if someone else here can give you a rundown) Dungeon World and maybe Savage Worlds.

innerdude

Legend
Savage Worlds is a fantastic medium-crunch system that is not tied to a setting. It's classless and skill based, allowing players to create whatever kind of character you want.

If you've never played it before, characters' abilities aren't represented by numbers, they're represented by the size of die --- a lower-skilled player rolls a d4, slightly more skilled player rolls a d6, etc, up to a d12.

You'll roll the die representing your skill, plus an additional d6 for all rolls, but instead of adding them together, you take the highest result on either die. It also uses an "exploding" dice mechanic, where any time you roll the highest number on a die you roll it again and keep going.

It tends to run "pulpy" in its playstyle, but it's easy to make simple tweaks to adjust how it plays. I've been running Savage Worlds almost exclusively for about 5 years now since leaving 3e/Pathfinder behind, and haven't looked back. To me it plays very similarly to my old BECMI games I used to play as a teenager, but with a vastly more flexible, easy-to-run, consistent set of rules. If you're looking for something more "story" based, or whatever, something like Fate or the aforementioned Dogs in the Vineyard, Savage Worlds isn't it; it's very much a "traditional" RPG, with a focus on combat action and adventure, but it's the best representation of that style of gameplay I've found. It plays fast, is a breeze to GM. As a result, it allows all of us the ability to improvise and free-form, while still letting the GM bring in the elements of the world that they're interested in, and meshing it all together.

There's a small but very loyal contingent of players/GMs on the boards here if you're interested in hearing more.

Last edited:

Holy Bovine

First Post
Savage Worlds is a fantastic medium-crunch system that is not tied to a setting. It's classless and skill based, allowing players to create whatever kind of character you want.

If you've never played it before, characters' abilities aren't represented by numbers, they're represented by the size of die --- a lower-skilled player rolls a d4, slightly more skilled player rolls a d6, etc, up to a d12.

You'll roll the die representing your skill, plus an additional d6 for all rolls, but instead of adding them together, you take the highest result on either die. It also uses an "exploding" dice mechanic, where any time you roll the highest number on a die you roll it again and keep going.

It tends to run "pulpy" in its playstyle, but it's easy to make simple tweaks to adjust how it plays. I've been running Savage Worlds almost exclusively for about 5 years now since leaving 3e/Pathfinder behind, and haven't looked back. To me it plays very similarly to my old BECMI games I used to play as a teenager, but with a vastly more flexible, easy-to-run, consistent set of rules. If you're looking for something more "story" based, or whatever, something like Fate or the aforementioned Dogs in the Vineyard, Savage Worlds isn't it; it's very much a "traditional" RPG, with a focus on combat action and adventure, but it's the best representation of that style of gameplay I've found. It plays fast, is a breeze to GM. As a result, it allows all of us the ability to improvise and free-form, while still letting the GM bring in the elements of the world that they're interested in, and meshing it all together.

There's a small but very loyal contingent of players/GMs on the boards here if you're interested in hearing more.

Not to hijack the OPs thread or anything but I am looking into Savage Worlds - where does this cadre of players/GMs hang out?

innerdude

Legend
[MENTION=203]Holy Bovine[/MENTION] --- Of the self-professed "Savages" on the board, I've had interactions with [MENTION=26651]amerigoV[/MENTION], [MENTION=14291]Azgulor[/MENTION], [MENTION=6700109]Zadmar[/MENTION], [MENTION=12328]scourger[/MENTION], and a few others I can't recall off the top of my head. I'm sure if you private messaged any of us asking questions, we'd be more than willing to help.

I'm sure there are other fans out there too, I just haven't directly interacted with them. :)

Remove ads