• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Fishing rules for 3.5...

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Use a Cold Elementally Substituted Fireball underwater for fishing!

Cast the spell into a school of fish. It detonates, filling the area with ice...instantly freezing the fish solid and making them float to the surface!

Aeolius

Adventurer
Remind me NOT to go fishing with you folks! ;) The electrical suggestion is a good one; you can look on YouTube for what happens to Asian carp with a little voltage. Also, unscrupulous collectors of aquarium fish use cyanide to knock out the fish they catch - my abalone dragons use that as a breath weapon.

I also devised a prestige class known simply as "The Fishermen". They catch and feed exclusively upon dire fish; barracuda, shark, eels, and the like. Over time, they acquire the Feral template.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
  1. E. Sub electricity in Fireball
  2. Modify Electric Fireball with Fell Animate
  3. Aim at school of barracuda
  4. Command school of Zombie Barracuda!

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
I was going to say that D&D is about adventure, not fishing.

You don't need anything more complex than a profession (fisherman) check.

Unless, you know, you want to play D&D other than how you personally like it.

I don't understand why this mindset seems so dominating on these boards. The "D&D is supposed to be played the way I think it's meant to be played" mindset.

If his group likes to play a fishing mini-game, that's fine. I don't see how your first sentence is at all constructive. Yeah, your group might just want to make Profession or Survival checks to get by. That's probably all you really need. However, he's asking for something more complex, and coming into the thread to say "you're playing the game wrong" seems like a more common theme on this board as of late.

It just bugs me. Play what you like. I see no reason to tell someone they're playing wrong if everyone in their group is having fun.

Aeolius

Adventurer
I actually have but when he said fishing the association it brings up is not one of adventure.

Fair enough. I worked on a charter fishing boat with one of my brothers, for a summer, before he tried commercial fishing for a few years. Charter fishing is less than glamorous; bait the people's hook, cast the people's rod, land the people's catch, clean the people's fish... then they show everyone the fish "they" caught. ;)

Granted, fishing off the coast of South Carolina, I never saw one of these:
50034.jpg

You can read a bit about sustainable seafood at Monterey Bay Aquarium's Seafood Watch

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads