• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Five Themes

exile

First Post
Despite being between games at the moment, I am actively thinking about gaming more than I have in a long time. I've got a ton of ideas and multiple places to try to put them: up to three new games in which I could be playing, a homebrew campaign world that I'd like to write, the need to feed a rekindled interest in gaming in one of my younger brothers, a pet project of rewriting the old AD&D1E Slavers modules for both Star Wars and Iron Heroes. I digress.

As an intellectual exercise, I'd like to see a list of five themes/subjects/etc. that you would like to see explored in a game.

As an example, here's the list that kicked off a PbP game that I've been running on MySpace for over a year now.

1) Wizarding School
2) Transformation
3) Loss
4) Islands
5) Romance (I'm DMing for a bunch of girls...J/K Jackye, Catlin, Kyari, you're all awesome)

Chad

FnordBear

First Post
Well, I like complex plots with twists and turns galore. To that end here is a sampling of themes from the campaign I have been in for going on 2 years.

1) Revolution Against Established Order
2) Redemption for Past Misdeeds
3) Discovery of Hidden Pasts
4) Exploration of Ancient Sites
5) Defying Prophecy

Somethings I would like to see in a diffrent campaign/setting.

1) War. Not the typical "War is going on while PCs help the effort" but acctual PC leading and directing a military campaign.
2) Psion School (neat twist on wizard school)
3) Exploring a new/unexplored land (Xendrick!)
4) Building on #3, being the first Spelljammers from a world approaching high magic status.
5) Strangers in a Strange Land. To diffrentiate from #3 and #4 the PCs are normal PHB PCs thrust in to a very non-typical D&D world. Think John Carter of Mars and things of a similar vien.

DarkKestral

First Post
Particle_Man said:
1. The Gods died Today.
2. Nightmares.
3. Blood Magic.
4. Pseudo-Natural is the new Natural.
5. Stormy Weather.

d20 Call of Cthulhu mixed with D&D? Cuz I see a definite Lovecraft influence there..

Li Shenron

Legend
exile said:
As an intellectual exercise, I'd like to see a list of five themes/subjects/etc. that you would like to see explored in a game.

1) Ancient texts recovery and investigation (see "The Ninth Gate" movie)
2) Divination, fortune-telling, oracles
3) Herbalism
4) Alchemy
5) Material components for spellcasting (e.g. UA variant expanded 20 times)

DarkKestral

First Post
exile said:

1) Faerie tales, done classical medieval style
2) Alchemy (w/ full material components natch)
3) The roaring 20s.
4) Consensus History
5) How magic and technology would develop in a magical world

Gilladian

Adventurer
This is making me think about my current campaign. I'd say that I'm trying to expand on these themes/elements:

1. personal relationship to family/society
2. personal relationship to power
3. effect of wealth on said relationships
4. ends and means - what justifies what
5. old sins returning to haunt future generations

So far, that's the themes I seem to be repeating. Wow, that's really some deep stuff. It doesn't come off that way in the game, though...

I can see I need to introduce something a bit less focused... the next campaign I run is going to be Savage Tide, so maybe that will loosen things up a bit.

GreatLemur

Explorer
exile said:
As an example, here's the list that kicked off a PbP game that I've been running on MySpace for over a year now.
Holy Jesus, MySpace? Man, is that as excruciating as it sounds? I'd tell you what I think about that community, but on this board it'd just come out as all :)s. Seriously, though, how's that working out for you? I assume you're doing it in a forum or something, right?

Particle_Man said:
1. The Gods died Today.
2. Nightmares.
3. Blood Magic.
4. Pseudo-Natural is the new Natural.
5. Stormy Weather.
Aw, hell, I want in on that. That really sounds like my kind of thing.

Remove ads