• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Flails, Maces & MorningStars Questions

sjmiller

Explorer
I was flipping through this, having purchased it solely because it contained information on the Godentag, and I am rather surprised and disappointed about a few things. I am so puzzled I figured I should come here and ask about some things.

Flipping to the Godentag on page 9, it says the overall weapon length is 5 1/2 feet and that it weighs 8 pounds. That's cool, I guess, based on the interpretation you are using. Then I see that it is a One-Handed weapon. One-handed?! Doesn't anyone realize that holding a end-heavy weapon of that size and weight in one hand is not only impractical, but absurd. The godentag is too big and too heavy to be wielded one-handed. It was never designed to be used that way. It was designed to knock guys in heavy plate armor off a horse and then crush them or drive the spike through their visor. This is not something that one does one-handed.

So, I guess my question is, at the start, why was this weapon made a one-handed weapon?

Also, looking at the one-handed melee weapons on page 3, why are they all heavier than is practical? Historically, even a heavy mace never came close to weighing 8 pounds. One would definitely not want to attempt to wield that one handed, that's for sure!

I am just curious as to why these particular decisions were made. Being that I am going to have to convert this back to 3.0 anyway, I figured getting into the minds of the designers wouldn't hurt.

sjmiller

Explorer
Okay, a guilty confession regarding the previous post. It's been awhile since I actually looked at the weapon weights in a D&D book, and after looking at the 3.0 PH I remember why that is so. My former career in archaeology and post-Roman English history studies means I know more about ancient weapons than is good for a gamer. Just about every game I see, D&D (in all its versions) included, have obscenely heavy weapons. I don't understand why they do this, or what references they are using. So, when I see 10 pound swords, 12 pound maces, and other overweight weapons it drives me a bit crazy.

The largest functional (usable in combat) swords should top out at about 9 pounds. Most swords, regardless of type, should be around 2 to 3 pounds. Maces should run, surprisingly, around 2 to 4 pounds, even all metal ones. A longbow that weighs more than a pound or two is just not practical. I could go on, but I think you see where I am coming from.

So, while I am disappointed by some of the descriptions/weights given for weapons in FM&MS, I am not terribly surprised.

ElectricDragon

Explorer
While I have not received my copy of FM&M yet; I will try to answer your questions. Yes, I used weights comparable to those in the PHB; mainly because few of the references I found actually listed weights. A second reason is because weapon weights are a hold-over from earlier editions where "weight" was actually "encumbrance value" or a combination of actual weight and how unwieldy the thing is to store and carry. This lead to much higher weights for many things and if I recall correctly even different weights for some things according to how they were carried (a set of clothes weighed 3 lbs. worn and 6 lbs. carried in the backpack, I believe).

As to the length of the godentag at 5.5 feet; remember that it is topped by a 1 ft. long spike. That leaves 4.5 feet for the handle and head of the weapon. I figure 4 inches for the head; leaving 4 ft. 2 inches for the handle. Yeah, that may be a little long; but I wanted the weapon to have the ability to be set against a charge; consider that when used one-handed; the wielder must "choke up" a bit on the handle.

Ciao
Dave

Remove ads