D&D 4E Flexible Utilities / Multi Utilities for Martial Types

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Wizards have some defined flexibility being able to swap out powers from their spell books it is my thinking that martial classes could have flexibility especially for many utility powers.

A set of utilities like Bounding Leap or Sudden Sprint or Full Extension or the like --> Could be seen as a set of related exertions which expending one might inhibit the others ... but having multiple in your repertoire of tricks makes every bit of sense.

The existing feats seem really innadequate and restrictive in oddish ways additionally selecting in advance of use does not necessarily seem as appropriate - a lot of martial flexibility makes sense to be implemented differently than the mage using that spell book if we don't go to far.

MartialFlexibiltiy.png

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Looks like when I iron out exactly what I want this will go in CBLoader / Character Builder just fine ( I am thinking I want only one feat applicable for any martial class but its allowing the utilities of any martial class also trying to figure out how to get skill powers in to the categories )

Last edited:

Tony Vargas

Legend
One thing that might be cool, in the pillars context, would be for each utility to be a bundle of up to 3 closely-related utilities, if not already dual use, one for each pillar.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
One thing that might be cool, in the pillars context, would be for each utility to be a bundle of up to 3 closely-related utilities, if not already dual use, one for each pillar.
Hmmm utility powers each of a different category... if they are an encounter power it's no choice about which to use. Where as someone might be hemming and hawing about do I use mighty leap or sudden sprint.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Looking at things currently it would feel better flavorwise to have limited sets instead of letting the player create his own.... what kind of relationship are you thinking could define such a connection across pillars?

I think what might be really desired is for all utilities to be gained in triples UNLESS as you say if they are already cross conflict arena (I think of the pillars as arenas of conflict)

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
An interesting feat which enhances versatility in a rather narrow window is the cruel cut feat. What I think makes it significant is cleave becomes something different depending on the number of opponents and the fighter goes between lawn mower style and focused killer. Mechanically like having two powers with situation-ally distinct uses.

Remove ads