• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

FLGS- Old Inventory and Organization UPDATE!!

Is shrink wrap a good idea? Do gamers impulse buy?

Lonely Tylenol

First Post
I hate shrink wrap. It's inconvenient, unfriendly, and unattractive. Plus, in my experience, several stores I've been in that shrink wrap their books have been run by nasty cranks who hate their customers and have a "spend money, or GET OUT" kind of attitude. So when I walk into a place and see shrink wrap, it tells me that there's a pretty good chance I don't like the management. And if I don't like the management, why would I want to give them my money when I could spend it in a store run by people I like?

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
I admit, I am an impulse buyer. However, if there are plenty of products that I am interested in, it is the content therein that makes me buy. If I don't get to look in them, I'll turn my business elsewhere - typically to online services. Shrink wrap is a total turn off for me.

Shemeska

Adventurer
Ugg... I loathe shrink wrap. I don't shop at stores that shrink wrap their books unless they're having fire sale prices on their stock, it cheeses me off that much.

MonsterMash

First Post
I don't like shrink wrap much and I prefer stores who keep one copy of each item unwrapped (I can understand the store owners point of view that shrink wrap protects their stock and investment).

fba827

Adventurer
even if i know what i _want_ to buy, I wait until I'm at the store to flip through the item to confirm my initial feelings.

as for impulse buying - I _personally_ do not because I have next to no disposable income (yeah, i know, i'm in the wrong hobby if that's the case :p ) but I know several other games that do impulse buy if they happen to be at the store looking at other stuff...

EDIT: Also, to bring back an idea already mentioned - if a copy is left unwrapped for people to look through, having a store owner stare be down while I am browsing is a quick way to make me uncomfortable enough to stop what i'm doing and leave fairly quickly.. not to say the owner is doing anything bad, just, i like to browse at my leisure.. not feel like i'm 'causing a scene by browsing. I know this wasn't a question asked, just wanted to mention it in case they did decide to unwrap a copy or two so that people could browse..

Last edited:

Cerubus Dark

First Post
BelenUmeria said:
I mean, it is owned and run by two attractive women! That is already a bonus. :)
Lucky B@$tard

No shrink wrap on books =/= lost sales as everyone has said. I like the bundle idea, may have to run that by my boss as the LGS I work at.

tensen

First Post
Vanuslux said:
A shrink-wrapped RPG book tells me one thing...that whoever shrinkwrapped it thought that me looking inside the book would make me less likely to buy it.

For me, it just means almost unlikely to buy it at the store. The only times I even go to a GS (none exactly local to me, and not very friendly) is to browse the book to see if it is really what I want to get. I can buy unseen and cheaper online, so I only go to the gaming store if I am wavering on a product. So if it is shrink wrapped at the gaming store, I have no incentive to even go there.

Buttercup

Princess of Florin
I refuse to shop in a store that shrink wraps its books. If they trust their customers so little, then I can shop somewhere else. If they really think books are getting damaged, then they can shrink wrap all copies except for one, which can be a sample. Then when they decide not to carry that title any more, they can sell the sample at a discount.

Regarding the old merchandise, I agree that they'll get a better price on E-Bay.

Belen

Adventurer
Update!!!

Well, I went to the store last night. We ended up with enough 3.0 material to fill a 6 foot table nearly a foot high. We decided to use the bundled strategy and we put books together that made sense. For example, Hammer and Helm and Quint Dwarf were made into a bundle. I just could not believe the ammount of books they had. The former owner really screwed them.

Shrinkwrap: They will keep shrink wrapping the books, but they will place a sign up that says they will open any book that someone wants to see. Apparently, they were really burned before by customers who would come into the store and copy information out of books or just abuse them to the point where they could not be sold again. I will keep working on them to stop the shrink wrap, but this is all I can do at this time.

Aas soon as I get the bundles and the prices, I will post here on ENWorld, so that you guys can get a shot at the old inventory. :)

Remove ads