• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Flintstones Technology in D&D

Aeric

Explorer
I remember reading in one of the previous editions somewhere that otyughs were deliberately put in city sewers to keep the waste level down. Who needs albino alligators when you've got those things?!

HandofMystra

First Post
Hussar said:
I remember using brown mold for refrigeration. Not my idea, but I forget where I stole it from. Use a double box, with the space between both boxes filled with brown mold. Nice little freezer.
It is used in the Shackled City
Years ago I read a Jack Vance work where human colonists on another planet fought natives who had mastered evolution so as to make macroscopic creatures into weapons. The only thing I recall are hornets that had been evolved into darts (targeted venom delivery). In the far future, I want to create a race like that for D&D. Does anyone remember this novel or story?

Dragonbait

Explorer
Glantri city used slimes and gelatinous cubes to dissolve the waste in the sewers.

I read some of an old Grayhawk novel where the city watch used a cube to clean up a murder scene and dissolve the bodies. They ushered it into the alleyway with staves tipped with some kind of electric spearhead.

Harkening back to the Flinstones subject, how often do these various monsters look to the camera and say "Eh, it's a living."?

mhensley

First Post
Dragonbait said:
Harkening back to the Flinstones subject, how often do these various monsters look to the camera and say "Eh, it's a living."?

:lol:

On a more mundane note, I've always thought that dogs could be trained to good effect in fantasy worlds. Instead of bomb sniffing dogs or cadaver finding dogs, how about dogs trained to smell magic items, invisible creatures, dopplegangers, or the undead?

Rackhir

Explorer
HandofMystra said:
It is used in the Shackled City
Years ago I read a Jack Vance work where human colonists on another planet fought natives who had mastered evolution so as to make macroscopic creatures into weapons. The only thing I recall are hornets that had been evolved into darts (targeted venom delivery). In the far future, I want to create a race like that for D&D. Does anyone remember this novel or story?

Sounds like possibly the "Tschai - Planet of Adventure" Books or possibly "The Dragon Masters" (a short story and Hugo award winner IIRC).

Remove ads