• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Flowchart of the Editions

Orius

Legend
I'd say that 3e and 4e really only branch off from the AD&D game. The basic D&D line pretty much died out after the RC and the black box.

DestroyYouAlot

First Post
TerraDave said:
1)You definately need to add the other ODD supplements.

2) I am not so sure about having that first basic set as a precursor to ADD, I don't really think it was.

3) There have been a number of "starter sets". Not sure you want to include any.

FWIW, the 1st Basic Set literally referred you to the upcoming AD&D manuals if you wanted to know more - it was explicitly an "entry drug" to AD&D. It was only with the Moldvay Basic Set that Classic D&D started to establish its own identity.

Jack Daniel

dice-universe.blogspot.com
DestroyYouAlot said:
FWIW, the 1st Basic Set literally referred you to the upcoming AD&D manuals if you wanted to know more - it was explicitly an "entry drug" to AD&D. It was only with the Moldvay Basic Set that Classic D&D started to establish its own identity.

Exactly true. Holmes Basic is the central lynch-pin (or missing link, if you will) that connects Original, Classic, and Advanced.

The only real problem that I have with this flowchart is that after BECMI, the black box/RC/WotI should constitute one discreet edition (and it probably shouldn't have a line connecting it to 3e, but that's a matter of taste).

DestroyYouAlot

First Post
Jack Daniel said:
Exactly true. Holmes Basic is the central lynch-pin (or missing link, if you will) that connects Original, Classic, and Advanced.

The only real problem that I have with this flowchart is that after BECMI, the black box/RC/WotI should constitute one discreet edition (and it probably shouldn't have a line connecting it to 3e, but that's a matter of taste).

I don't know - initially I agreed with this, but there is a decent amount of Classic in 3e. Unified ability mods (as opposed to a different table for everything), for example, are straight from Classic.

an_idol_mind

Explorer
rossik said:
thats the one in my link, right?

Yes indeed. I don't know if it should count as a separate edition, though, since it was basically a repackaging of the 1991 set. Also, it was kind of a rip-off, as it was released after the Rules Cyclopedia went out of print. Basically, you were stuck in the level 1-5 area unless you switched to AD&D or found some old books that were no longer supported.

Orius said:
I'd say that 3e and 4e really only branch off from the AD&D game. The basic D&D line pretty much died out after the RC and the black box.

3rd edition is spiritually much closer to AD&D, but it did borrow some stuff from the BECMI line. I think there's enough in there to claim a connection.

Remathilis said:
I'm working on a complete flowchart of every major edition of D&D. I'm fact checking. Below is the image (under the spoiler). Any comments, critiques, or corrections are welcome.

(I apologize for the legibility)

[sblock=The Editions]
historyofDD.jpg

[/sblock]
Comments: Cool. I never quite understood the D&D history, a history graph is exactly what I need. Now I just need a higher resolution of your graph.

Otherwise, I wish I could help you out, but I began playing with 3E...

MrFilthyIke

First Post
an_idol_mind said:
3rd edition is spiritually much closer to AD&D, but it did borrow some stuff from the BECMI line. I think there's enough in there to claim a connection.

Agreed. When 3E first arrived, I immediately saw elements of BECMI in the new edition.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I like it a lot. I think the "2.5" Player's Options books should be included as a step between 2E and 3E, or at least make the 2E box bigger and include them.

Zander

Explorer
Very cool chart. :cool:

Just a few points...

el-remmen said:
I like it a lot. I think the "2.5" Player's Options books should be included as a step between 2E and 3E, or at least make the 2E box bigger and include them.
I was going to say that or something similar. :) Perhaps the PO books should have their own box off to the side of 2E with links to both 2E and 3E in addition to the existing direct link between 2E and 3E.

I'm also not sure that there should be a link between the Rules Cyclopedia and 3E. I don't think 3E inheritited much from the RC that it didn't already get from 2E. I don't have the RC though so I stand to be corrected.

Last edited:

Clavis

First Post
Zander said:
I'm also not sure that there should be a link between the Rules Cyclopedia and 3E. I don't think 3E inheritited much from the RC that it didn't already get from 2E. I don't have the RC though so I stand to be corrected.

Prestige classes were almost definitely inspired by the way Druids and Paladins (for example) are handled in the Rules Cyclopedia. There you must be either a Neutral Cleric or a Lawful Fighter of a certain level, and then you can change classes to Druid or Paladin.

AD&D combat rounds were 1 minute. D&D had a shorter 10 second round, so I would say 3rd edition's combat round was D&D inspired, not AD&D.

Some monsters (the Nightshade is an example, I think) were D&D monsters ported into 3rd edition.

The coming 4th Edition's level tiers also seem to be inspired by the rules in D&D for attaining Immortality, and also the kinds of choices players made upon attaining 9th or 10th Level (whether to be a traveling or land owning character, etc.).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads