D&D 5E Flumphs as a PC race

The Stench Spray ability is of course one I'm trying to tweak, I did already reduce the effect down to 1d4 rounds from the 1d4 hours that Monster Manual entry had, but I could see even 1d4 rounds as something that takes the duration of an entire fight.

I guess alternatives could be 1d4 rounds but save every turn (might be too much to track).

Or for 1 round, or until end of creatures next round, or until beginning of Flumphs next round or something like that.

Despite using terms about Jellyfish life cycles such as Polyp and Medusa, I don't think a Flumph Polyp is going to be rooted to the ground like a Jellyfish Polyp is. I still see them as being sentient and mobile. But it'll be something that's obvious to Flumphs, but of a difference that isn't that not obvious to non-Flumphs.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Despite using terms about Jellyfish life cycles such as Polyp and Medusa, I don't think a Flumph Polyp is going to be rooted to the ground like a Jellyfish Polyp is. I still see them as being sentient and mobile. But it'll be something that's obvious to Flumphs, but of a difference that isn't that not obvious to non-Flumphs.
In my sci fi setting the Cnidarians are space dwelling Coral colonies the size of Asteroids, that use their tentacle nematocytes to dissolve minerals. They spawn Flumph polyps and seed them to planets, the Flumphs medusae are then released to explore planet and identify if it has sentient life…

Remove ads