• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

FOD miniatures (Updated April 8 - Kenku Sneak)

punkorange

First Post
I must say that I absalutely love your gaming setup. The mini's look great and it looks like you've got great terrain for mordheim or warhammer too. You have any good tips of flocking your table and making the wooden boards and building?

Foundry of Decay

First Post
GentleGiant said:
Great stuff!
I'm interested in knowing more about your photo set-up... you know, lighting and such. :)
Photos of your set-up would be much appreciated. :D

Thanks!

Actually my setup for photos is pretty simple: Natural light.

I took a couple pictures as a test when I first got the camera, and found that I already had a pretty ideal (if small) setup. I have a large window off to the left that has blinds on it, and the board is about 10 inches below it. The ambient light that I have off to the right is actually a simple room light that is turned on (ordinary 60 watt bulb).

I found that I had to close the blinds only allowing a bit of sun to filter through, otherwise the images turned out much too washed out. A light curtain (white) also can filter the sun out pretty well while still letting some diffused light to come through if its a light enough material.

The camera itself is a Canon PowerShot S1 IS, and is VERY good at recognizing light levels I found (There is a 'preview snapshot' function that shows how it adjusts things and focuses).

Its a bit expensive as I paid almost $600 CND for it, and will eat through regular batteries in no time. I found rechargable NiHM batteries cured that problem though. And it has up to 10x optical zoom, which turns out to actually be way more zoom than I'd ever need for these figures, but wonderful for taking reference photos for artwork (Hey, I have to justify to myself why I bought this thing ;))

I'll try to get a couple photos of the general setup asap though, to show the layout of things. I simply lucked out that my gaming area was set up perfectly for photos if the day is sunny enough. The good news is that the lighting is free.. The bad news is that I can only take good photos at certain times of the day.

Last edited:

Foundry of Decay

First Post
Cthulhu's Librarian said:
I'd like to see some more shots of these three. What minis are they? What exactly is the "critter"?

I'll have a few more pictures after Friday's game (Which I should be prepping for right now. I'm a bad DM). The model/maker from left to right are: Laurana from the old Ral-Partha Dragonlance line, Wood Elf Archer from an old Games Workshop line, and a Skaven from the plastic Skaven Army box from GW. However the Skaven itself is painted up as a sort of 'racoon' to portray the custom race a player of mine made (I believe they are called the Rackh, though I'm sure I'm mis-spelling it).

That Laurana figure is, to this day, one of my all time favorite elfin paladin figures.

Foundry of Decay

First Post
punkorange said:
I must say that I absalutely love your gaming setup. The mini's look great and it looks like you've got great terrain for mordheim or warhammer too. You have any good tips of flocking your table and making the wooden boards and building?

Thanks! :)

I'm actually just now getting into doing up terrain after a very long haitus (read: lazyness).

I might take some more detailed terrain photos and provide some tips of what I did, but in general I tend to use a lot of Woodland Scenics for flocking. They have the advantage of being MUCH cheaper than any terrain accessories that Games Workshop might provide, and they come in a variety of colours and textures. I'll provide a bit more detail on what I did when I have better pictures up of the terrain though.

The boards are simply balsa wood that was glued in place, and balsa can be bought in jumble packs for relatively cheap, and its wildly easy to work with.

The building is actually from an old Games Workshop portfolio of buildings. I don't think they offer it for sale anymore unfortunately, however I've found that worldworks games has a great villiage set out, and they are working on doing a medieval city set as well. You can find them at: http://www.worldworksgames.com

GentleGiant

Explorer
Foundry of Decay said:
Thanks!

Actually my setup for photos is pretty simple: Natural light.
Whoa, natural light? That really must be a spanking good camera to get that kind of quality with only natural light. :)
Looking forward to more pictures and pictures of your set-up (even though it is only natural light ;))

Foundry of Decay

First Post
A quick update before I head to work. I forgot to post this with the original batch.

A Rackham 'Wolfen'. I love the pose of these figures.

wol1.jpg

Foundry of Decay

First Post
Been out with the flu for the better part of the week, thus I haven't been taking many photos (They get blurry when you hack and cough all the time).

I managed to eek out a couple pictures of a Kenku NPC (Repainted Aberrations mini). One of which I'll post here:

Skulking on land

bird1.jpg

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads