Foiling Flights of Fancy with Fey

Nameless Hero

First Post
So my players have just participated (snuck into) the grand banquet of the fey archlords. They spent the evening wining and dining with a variable who’s who of fey lords. All of the kings and queens of the feywild were there-- Eladrin, Sytars, Grandmother hags, ect. The PCs enjoyed a grand feast (briefly gaining effects of heroes feast) at the table of Lord Oberon himself. After dinner and dancing the PCs (and other guests) were afforded the opportunity to ask any request of King Oberon and Queen Titania. The Archfey couldn't refuse their requests (think mobsters on the day of their daughter’s wedding), no matter how outlandish, as long as it was within their abilities. All of the PCs made requests and all were granted.

One of the PCs even parlayed this into an exclusive hunting trip with the Archfey: The Lord of the Hunt, where he learned the hunter’s mark spell for a few extra downtime days, and was guided through a portion of the extra dimensional fey backroads/crossroads. Everything seems peachy for the PCs.

They don’t know this, but the way I see it, the Archfey just “pre-paid” on a debt. With that in mind, in what ways do the PCs now have to repay the Fey’s Kindness? As we know, fey are oft fickle creatures with a completely alien sense of morality. In exchange for some desperately needed gold they might take your first born child. Fairs fair after all; and a deal has been made. What does the Queen of the Fairies need from puny 9th level mortals?

Things I was considering:

The PCs must spend a year (365 DT days split between the party) in service to the court of stars. They must remove every acorn from a 1 million mi² forest floor.

One of the PCs must give up their first born child.

I think the idea of them entering into a debt with the fey is a cool idea, and a great use of tropes. One thing to keep in mind is that whatever happens, it should be fun/interesting/exciting. The debt should lead to more adventure. Maybe those acorns need to be collected from a haunted forest, guarded by fearsome foes. Any treasure they get is theirs, but woe betide them if they hold onto an acorn...and of course, there's a magic acorn in there that would be tempting...

Perhaps they must clear a dungeon…using only cursed items. Or on the other hand, maybe they have to defend a dungeon against adventurers for a period of time. Or they must serve as retainer to the fey, navigating the strange rules of the court…until an assassination attempt frames them and forces them to clear their name.

Remove ads