• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fold-Up Maps

wynteriii

First Post
I hate it when this happens, you've bought something that you thought would be neat for the group but it turns out it's not. I have 2 dry erase mats that I thought were neat and gave a retro feel to the game. I liked them so much that I shelved all the fold up maps that I got from different D&D products. NOW, I feel that the maps are the way to go because I'm not forced to have a big table to lay it on, portability, and graphics. To think, I almost bought another mat. Do any of you know where I can get some more foldout maps? I have:

Monster Vault
DM Kit
Red Box
Shadowfell
Threats of The Nentir Vale

I hope you know what I'm talking about. I don't really like the tiles.

Kantru

First Post
The Map Packs are reprints of 2 existing maps and 1 new one. First one ame out in Dec (I think) 2 or 3 more are slated for this year.

I have not found tiles to be satisfying. I use a mat when I don't have a map, but prefer the preprinted when I can get them. I expecially prefer the quad-fold maps of the essentials line to the tri-fold maps of products like encounters. The middle fold of the quad-fold is 99% of the time right where I need it, and I am introducing a true middle fold to every tri-fold map I use it seems.

Dice4Hire

First Post
I have recently gone on a map buying spree. I have something like 70, counting each side separately.

My best sources for maps are:

The old modules H1 2 3, P 1 2 3 and E 1 2 3

The heroic ones have more maps than the later ones, so go for those first.

H1 has 3 papers so 6 maps and H 2 and 2 have 2 (4 maps) each

Also, the fantastic locations are good, but they are harder to find. Each of the locations has 4 maps, but I would not get the Dragon Grotto one as half the maps have already been reprinted.

If you want more, some of the adventures are good like HS1 and HS", or Teh Seekers of the Ashen Crown are good.

Hammerfast and Vor Rukoth also come with a couple of maps each.

2 links to a lot of map pics so you can choose what you like.

Miniature D&D - Tiles Maps e Epic Stat Cards

and

https://plus.google.com/photos/104728449214095806684/albums/5657209749509050769?banner=pwa

I would not recommend the Paizo maps as much but they are good.

Paizo plus:
Great variety
Good quality
Can draw on them as much as you like
Paizo minus
Fuzzier artwork.
Thicker and do not lay as flat on the table

Good luck

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
I bought the HPE modules primarily for the maps. Many are at severe markdowns.

I've been slowly buying up Flip-Mats but I store them flat after pressing them.

The Fantastic Locations series are still available on Amazon, some pricier than others.

Also look for MapsofMystery.com, Christopher West has done many of the maps from way back.

You can also look for old DDM starter packs with maps. Some of the Star Wars minis map packs are useable too.

I have between 50-60 maps that I can pull out.

I have the tiles too, but the 3D ones are the only ones that get used regularly.

We used to use a projector and before that Dwarven Forge.

For speed of play nothing short of "no minis" is faster than pre-printed maps.

Quickleaf

Legend
I hate it when this happens, you've bought something that you thought would be neat for the group but it turns out it's not. I have 2 dry erase mats that I thought were neat and gave a retro feel to the game. I liked them so much that I shelved all the fold up maps that I got from different D&D products. NOW, I feel that the maps are the way to go because I'm not forced to have a big table to lay it on, portability, and graphics. To think, I almost bought another mat. Do any of you know where I can get some more foldout maps? I have:

Monster Vault
DM Kit
Red Box
Shadowfell
Threats of The Nentir Vale

I hope you know what I'm talking about. I don't really like the tiles.
Everyone covered my recommendations already so I'll just point you to the poster map visual index/gallery at Sly Flourish: Poster Map Visual Index

Incenjucar

Legend
Fold-up maps really are great, especially of generic encounter-sized locals. Tiles are great and all, but they're bulky and heavy and not especially fun to carrying up and down hills twenty minutes in the rain with all the other basics required for a minis-centric combat.

Remove ads