Follow-up to "Queen with Burning Eyes"

RogueRonin

Explorer
Alright, so my group just finished playing the "Queen with Burning Eyes" Eberron adventure from Dungeon #113. I (the DM) am now pondering the possibilites of what to include in the next adventure. For anyone who has not played it, but plans to, there will be spoilers in this post. As it ended up, Demise and her undead thugs took the amulet that is the vault key. Before this happened though, one of the more diligent PC's had the foresight to spend some time talking to a Xen'drik sage at a library in Sharn. So the characters know that it is some kind of key, and that the map is northern Xen'drik. Now they are all up in arms to go race the Emerald Claw to the vault. Now, I was thinking about some possible adventure ideas, and due to the somewhat short description of Xen'drik in the ECS, I have come here to throw around ideas.
I was thinking that after the PC's find passage to Stormreach, they could encounter a few sahuagin. If the tribe is friendly they could offer some information regarding Demise and the gang, or if they are hostile... well, you know. Then upon arrival at Stormreach, the party will get any supplies they need. I was thinking about a guide for the party (after all, jungles can be confusing), this leads to the possibility of a double-cross. If the guide was working for the Emerald Claw, he could either lead the PC's astray, or into a trap. I'm not sure yet about that option.
After some wilderness encounters, which I can flesh out later, they will eventually en up at the ruins where the vault is located. This is the part where I really want suggestions. I was tossing around a few ideas.
1. The ruins are inhabited by a large Drow clan, who will probably act in a hostile fashion towards both the party and the Emerald Claw gang. So this could lead in any number of directions (heck, who knows, maybe the party could become temporary allies with Demise...nah). If I am going this route, then I will need to determine how the Drow society works, as far as technology and culture.
2. The second idea I had was a giant or two (or three) may still call the ruins home. If I go with this idea, I think it would probably be similar to the Drow route.
3. The ruins are uninhabited, save for a few minor monsters, but the Emerald Claw got there first and set up camp. This would make it a kind of stealthy dungeon crawl, because the party would most definetly be outnumbered.
So, based upon what actions the PC's take in the ruins, I am probably going to just wing it for the conclusion. But I would appreceate any and all feedback. We are all going into somewhat uncharted territory here with a new campaign setting, so i dont think it could do any harm to discuss some adventure ideas. Heh, normally I wouldn't just post a brainstorm like this though. Anywho, feel free to post ideas.

edit: I was thinking of having the vault's contents be some minor treasure, but more importantly, a docent. A docent that knows the location of some other big cool artifact or some such thing. Comments?

Last edited:

Express

First Post
I like the idea of a clan of giants lurking abour Xendrik. However, why necessarily rush off to Xendrik? Although I admit thats a cool location.

For instance, perhaps Demise and co. return to Karrnath to return the artifacts to their superiors. Or maybe the amulet is just one of a series of items they need. A tour/race around Khovaire could be fun with an exciting conclusion in Xendrik.

Just my 2 cents.

RogueRonin

Explorer
Express said:
I like the idea of a clan of giants lurking abour Xendrik. However, why necessarily rush off to Xendrik? Although I admit thats a cool location.

For instance, perhaps Demise and co. return to Karrnath to return the artifacts to their superiors. Or maybe the amulet is just one of a series of items they need. A tour/race around Khovaire could be fun with an exciting conclusion in Xendrik.

Just my 2 cents.

I was thinking about that. The party is doing the Shadows of The Last War adventure, so by the time they are done with that, Demise would likely have gotten to Xen'drik. As for the needing multiple keys idea, the Shadows of The Last War series already does the scavenger hunt idea, and my players may not want to do two. Although I do like your idea of having Demise stopping over in Karrnath, although I would probably have her do that before Xen'drik (that would give the PC's some extra time to do the Shadows plot). Anyway, those are some interesting ideas. Keep em coming folks.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases