D&D 5E For the 1st time: I am the D&D target Audience!

Mikeythorn

Explorer
I am with the OP. I started with 1st edition AD&D, but bought very little beyond the core books after that. With 5e, I have bought most (but not all) books, and can see myself continuing to do so. I even started listening to Critical Role after the most recent book announcement! It was something I had tried in the past, but had never got beyond half of a single episode. But I am spending the (Southern Hemisphere) summer painting the house and have discovered it is perfect background listening material.

gyor

Legend
I have most of the 5e books.

I haven't bought dungeon of the mad mage but I am considering it.

The Eberron book I didn't buy in hard copy and I only have on dnd beyond because it was part of the sourcebook bundle.

On the whole, this edition is like every other edition I was into, a massive money sink that I shall continue sinking money into.

Side note, is lost mines of phandelver (spelling?) Found in the starter set? I've heard good things about it and was thinking of getting it.

IMHO WD: DotMM is the best, fullest AP in 5e by far, and it fits like a glove with WD: DH and TotYP (which I plan to get at a later date and an expansion to DW: DotMM which has connections at various levels to the adventures in TotYP).

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Oh man I recommend the AqInc book very highly, even if you don’t care about the franchise.

the company roles stuff works just fine as nothing more than roles within an adventuring company, the followers and home base stuff are a great addition, etc.

Yeah, I seems good for what it is. I gave it a look-over and wasn't feeling it.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Yeah, I seems good for what it is. I gave it a look-over and wasn't feeling it.
To each his own. I love it as is, and I also really like it as a wonderful template for how to use downtime and NPCs to add structure and story options to a campaign. As-is I really like it for pulpy high-magic storytelling. Managing the satire element isn't a big deal IMO.

caudor

Adventurer
This is such a good time for D&D (5e). There have been times in D&D's history when I was worried the game would fade into oblivion. Not so now days. I'm seeing great products, a great team at Wotc, and an enthusiastic player base. Yep, I'm one of the target audience.

dave2008

Legend
This is the first time I felt like I wasn't the target audience.... and they made it obvious this was true during the playtest.
As a big 4e fan myself, what do you feel has made you not the target audience?

To me 4e and 5e are very similiar, but 4e was very similar to 1e too IME, so I am probably an outlier.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
As a big 4e fan myself, what do you feel has made you not the target audience?

To me 4e and 5e are very similar, but 4e was very similar to 1e too IME, so I am probably an outlier.
There are many things that put me off really here is one such.
1581645486441.png

Basically the games assumptions for me are just wrong from the very beginning.

Oh and yes I too saw the invocations of 1e too.

Sadras

Legend
IMHO WD: DotMM is the best, fullest AP in 5e by far, and it fits like a glove with WD: DH and TotYP (which I plan to get at a later date and an expansion to DW: DotMM which has connections at various levels to the adventures in TotYP).

That does look like an awesome combo - I still have to read those three properly.
I love how some of these APs connect with others so well.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases