For those of you who have played Conan Adventures in an Age Undreamed Of (2d20)

Slit518

Adventurer
For those of you whom have played the game, I have a few of questions -

1) If you use Momentum for an extra d20 roll on a Skill Check, and you exceed the number of successes you need, can that generate another Momentum?
2) If you use a Fortune point to give you a 1 on a die roll, does that count as 2 successes and can it generate Momentum if it is over the number of success you need?
3) If a character has an Attribute of 15+ and a Skill of 5, which makes their Target Number 20+, how do they fail d20 rolls which use that skill?

aramis erak

Legend
For those of you whom have played the game, I have a few of questions -

1) If you use Momentum for an extra d20 roll on a Skill Check, and you exceed the number of successes you need, can that generate another Momentum?
2) If you use a Fortune point to give you a 1 on a die roll, does that count as 2 successes and can it generate Momentum if it is over the number of success you need?
3) If a character has an Attribute of 15+ and a Skill of 5, which makes their Target Number 20+, how do they fail d20 rolls which use that skill?
#1 Yes
#2 Yes and yes.
#3 You're not going to get an attribute of 15. Page 17 notes 12 without Ancient Bloodline, 14 with. Page 300 reiterates this.
Skills cap at 5, implied strongly on page 301.

Now, if the complication range is expanded, it's possible to generate a success and complication on the overlap.

Slit518

Adventurer
#1 Yes
#2 Yes and yes.
#3 You're not going to get an attribute of 15. Page 17 notes 12 without Ancient Bloodline, 14 with. Page 300 reiterates this.
Skills cap at 5, implied strongly on page 301.

Now, if the complication range is expanded, it's possible to generate a success and complication on the overlap.

Oh, stats cap at 12? And Ancient Bloodlines can get them to 14? For some reason the book shows bonuses for stats 15+.

We used a character generator to make the player characters, by the way.

Thank you for answering my questions, I will check those pages over again and then send the information forward to my players.

Oh, stats cap at 12? And Ancient Bloodlines can get them to 14? For some reason the book shows bonuses for stats 15+.

The book covers that, as well on p16:

For humans, most attributes range from 6 to 12, with 8 representing an average rating. It is possible for human attribute ratings below 6 to reflect particularly inept, weak, or poor attributes. Additionally, humanity has descended from prior heights of development, and some human attributes may have ratings above 12 to reflect an Ancient Bloodline (see the talent on page 17). Furthermore, non-humans — a range that includes animals, beasts, monsters, and creatures of dark sorcery — may have attributes that vary across a broader range, going below 6 and far above 12.

We used a character generator to make the player characters, by the way.

The character generator is good, but we've found a couple inconsistencies with it. It will sometimes let you do things that aren't quite within the rules or let you make changes that aren't strictly allowed by the game. The char gen is an aid, not a validation tool.

When we played, we had a situation where one player had a TN greater than 19 (I think it was like 21 or 22) for a skill. I don't know if it was homebrew or not, but it probably was. In that case, the DM ruled that a natural 20 still caused a complication even though it was still a success.

Slit518

Adventurer
The book covers that, as well on p16:

For humans, most attributes range from 6 to 12, with 8 representing an average rating. It is possible for human attribute ratings below 6 to reflect particularly inept, weak, or poor attributes. Additionally, humanity has descended from prior heights of development, and some human attributes may have ratings above 12 to reflect an Ancient Bloodline (see the talent on page 17). Furthermore, non-humans — a range that includes animals, beasts, monsters, and creatures of dark sorcery — may have attributes that vary across a broader range, going below 6 and far above 12.

The character generator is good, but we've found a couple inconsistencies with it. It will sometimes let you do things that aren't quite within the rules or let you make changes that aren't strictly allowed by the game. The char gen is an aid, not a validation tool.

When we played, we had a situation where one player had a TN greater than 19 (I think it was like 21 or 22) for a skill. I don't know if it was homebrew or not, but it probably was. In that case, the DM ruled that a natural 20 still caused a complication even though it was still a success.

Yeah, we realized that the tool wasn't 100% compatible. I talked it over with the players, I let them adjust their stats over 12 one for one to other stats. And I gave them each an extra Favor Point for the misunderstanding. We all worked it out.

I was thinking that if I ever got a TN of 20 or higher for some reason I too was going to have it be a success but still cause a complication on a roll of 20.

aramis erak

Legend
In know that When the TN's overlap with complication ranges, and the die falls within, it's both a complication and success. I've never read anywhere in any of the games that a nat20 can't be a success for the super special cases...

Slit518

Adventurer
One last set of questions for now -
1) How do you gain more spells? Can you spend experience to buy them, or is it only from buying a Patron/Barter Your Soul talent?
2) How do you get more Petty Enchantments?

Remove ads