D&D 5E Forced Movement in 5e ?

cmad1977

Hero
What’s good for the goose...
Enemy spellcasters also understand how lethal forces movement is.

If the players want a saving throw to ‘grab the edge’ or what have you then the villains get the same. Otherwise it’s open season on anyone crossing a tightrope!

muppetmuppet

Explorer
On a similar note, what do you do when a creature is pushed into a wall with forced movement. In 4e they used to take damage I seem to remember. I assume 5e has no rules covering that too ?

Oofta

Legend
On a similar note, what do you do when a creature is pushed into a wall with forced movement. In 4e they used to take damage I seem to remember. I assume 5e has no rules covering that too ?

Nope. I house rule a d6 for every 10 feet further they would have gone.

Oofta

Legend
I like it.

Myself, I'll often have hitting the wall knock them prone.

I don't do that (yet) but I could see a saving throw based on amount of damage taken. I'd probably make it a con save, but that's just because there are already too many important dex saves. :)

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
I don't do that (yet) but I could see a saving throw based on amount of damage taken. I'd probably make it a con save, but that's just because there are already too many important dex saves. :)

I thought the same thing about Dex saves. I'd probably go Strength as that seems to be the go to for resisting prone, or forced movement in general.

Last edited:

ad_hoc

(they/them)
It is cinematic to grab onto the ledge while going over (or to have a friend catch an arm). This is what the Reaction mechanic is for.

It is a good thing that there are options for pushing people around. Chekhov's Chasm applies here. If there is a chasm someone should fall into it.

aco175

Legend
I tend to grant a Athletics or Acrobatics check. This favors the PCs a bit over goblins and such, but not against some bigger monsters. Otherwise my group would be so paranoid anytime there is a bridge, rope, roof, ice, etc...

Oofta

Legend
I allow a saving throw (strength or dex) with a DC based on the edge. So if there's a half-wall or equivalent a DC 5. Something with really good handholds or a low wall 10, minimal handholds/natural ledge 15, just a straight edge or particularly slippery 20.

But it doesn't really come up all that often. Maybe my NPCs need to hire some architects from whoever is responsible for Star Wars.

S'mon

Legend
If the force movement was only *just* enough to push the target over the edge I would likely grant a STR or DEX save to grab the edge.

If they're being flung 20'-30' over the edge by multiple Repelling Blasts like a Skyrim Fus-Ro-Da then sucks to be them.

Generally I like forced movement into chasm to be fairly easy & deadly, otherwise it doesn't happen IME.

Remove ads