• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Forest Based Campaign: resources and tips

My players have come to me with the idea of running a campaign entirely within a vast enchanted forest. The main hub will be an elven tree city like unto Lothlorien. They will be Forest Defenders combating a invading Empire that wants to exploit their resources.

Are there any good resources out there for forest campaigns? What are some non-obvious things that might be different or difficult in that sort of campaign? Have you ever run something similar?

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
1 The forest can also be a dungeon with paths through the undergrowth connecting glades.
2 The forest exists in three dimensions, the ground layer and the branch layer overhead run parallel, the canopy might have extra layers above that too (Athletics =climb, jump and swing)
3 The branches above and the undergrowth provide full cover to creatures in it (Perception vs stealth and surprise)
4 The undergrowth is difficult terrain, dense, entangling and thorny - It is possible to fight your way through these "walls", but the movement is extremely slowed down and thorn damage happens every round.
5 The ground the forest grows in can vary too, from grass and light undergrowth to rocks and hills to bog. Fallen tree trunks, fungal growths and vines create extra texture (and all difficult terrain unless its a road)
6 Forest natives are faster in the forest than PCs and can attack from the canopy and from the undergrowth.
7 Entangle is a major tripping hazard
8 mist and breezes waft through the forest, sounds, shadows and smells become distorted (maybe even illusory and prismatic :))

Last edited:

I would give the forest defenders the ability to ignore natural difficult terrain.

I would also make the invaders PRIORITIZE destroying said terrain during their invasion.

I really like the idea of letting the forest native PCs ignore certain forms if difficult terrain. There's lots if way they could use this to get tactical advantages plus it's got great flavor to it.

Stalker0

Legend
So very common combat conditions to consider.

1) Cover: Cover will be a thing ALL the time, so make sure you get comfortable with how to set cover and apply it.
2) Concealment/Stealth: Also a major factor in forests.
3) Difficult Terrain: Some forest areas will have thick underbrush, other areas won't, but it needs to be considered.
4) Dark, real dark: Forests are already darker due to the overbrush, but at night they get REAL DARK. If you don't have darkvision you can easily be completely blind on many a night.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Also if you have access Dungeon Magazine 82 has a couple of forest based adventures including one set in Sherwood Forest which the PCs need to defend against invading Normans (the stats for Robin Hood were given in Dragon 274 apparently (I dont have it))

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads