Forged in Fire: Medieval weapons tested

Ryujin

Legend
I haven't been watching much of the show recently, as the "cliffhangers" finally have become too much to take, but it was nice to see that recent items tested included far fewer 10 pound one-handed swords.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I don’t know if those are real tests. They’re only given five days to make them, and usually have to start over at some point, so more often than not, they aren’t representative of actual quality weapons, but rush jobs. And most contestants aren’t weaponsmiths but other specialties of blacksmith. The amount of them that break after a few tests seems to support my dubiousness.

GreyLord

Legend
I was particularly surprised at how lethal the Glaive Guisarme appeared to be in their tests.

The video was a little long, but some interesting stuff there.

Undrave

Legend
I don’t know if those are real tests. They’re only given five days to make them, and usually have to start over at some point, so more often than not, they aren’t representative of actual quality weapons, but rush jobs. And most contestants aren’t weaponsmiths but other specialties of blacksmith. The amount of them that break after a few tests seems to support my dubiousness.
They're not 'real test' of the real weapons, they're test of the smith's skills so obviously it's gonna be weird. Plus, modern forging techniques and materials are pretty much leaps and bounds ahead of anything made back in the day.

I haven't been watching much of the show recently, as the "cliffhangers" finally have become too much to take, but it was nice to see that recent items tested included far fewer 10 pound one-handed swords.

I usually record the eps and watch them later. They're tested some obscure weapons over the years... the number of crazy African thrown weapon in particular is impressive... And one time they had them make crossbows!

Zardnaar

Legend
Generally watch similar ideas on youtube

Less sensationalism and they often say "this is grade 4/5" not the best they could make but decent.

Then they shoot it or whatever.

It's interesting stuff anyway or the shows they show you how to forge the metal as well.

Remove ads