D&D 4E Forked Thread: Al-Qadim, Land of Fate 4e

Deadstop

Explorer
Even a one-off book or series of Dragon articles would indeed be cool.

If they haven't done it by the time you're done with your doctorate, Quickleaf, I'd suggest you polish up and send in some of your ideas as Dragon articles (the AQ equivalent of the Spellplague and the class builds in particular).

I'm happy to pitch in and help get the project going again. I've been looking through my AQ materials and pondering 4e adaptation, so I'll post something soon.

Deadstop

Quickleaf

Legend
That's true, they are re-releasing Gamma World...

Thanks for the vote of confidence Deadstop. :) It's funny I've been talking about Dragon like it's this exclusive WotC entity, when there are a lot of us gamers writing articles for it. We'll see what happens, but there are a couple ways an article series could be structured...

* "Campaign Classics" column with a couple smalle 2-page articles explaining what's happened to AQ since the Great Unbinding (i.e. Spellplague) and how to use AQ in your campaign.

* "Realmslore" articles detailing one small area like a town, djnii court, or desert shrine, with explicit tie-ins to the rest of the Realms. Alternately, this could be a more setting neutral "Lands of Fate" series modeled after "Domains of Dread".

* An entirely new article format similar to Chris Sim's 20-page three-part article on "Playing Vistani" in Dragon #380. Not sure what it would be called, but it could be divided into setting lore, player crunch, and DM crunch.

Just some thoughts off the cuff. I'll go back over my notes and see if I can tease out some fresh inspiration.

Deadstop

Explorer
Here's a Rich Baker blog entry that I dug up with some information on the Dark Sun "character themes" element. He even mentions 2e kits as a comparison. Some of the old AQ kits that could theoretically be members of most any class (such as the corsair) might benefit from being treated as character themes rather than class builds.

Whoops! Browser Settings Incompatible

EDIT: The link looks weird but still goes to the right page for me. Please let me know if it does not for you.

Quickleaf

Legend
Well he even equates them with kits, and that makes a lot of sense for a few kits/themes like Corsair (twf ranger, dual-wield fighter or rogue) or Barber. However, a lot can be done with just reskinning the base classes. Warlord = amir/sheikh; Bard = rawun; Avenger = holy slayer; Invoker = mystic/prophet; Runepriest = religious scholar/law keeper; Warden = oasis guardian/protector of desert shrines; even Ardent = hakima (ok that one's a stretch). ;) Obviously shair is a shoe-in for a new elemental class. Other D&D classes seem more incongruous... Swordmage? Sorcerer? Warlock? Shaman? Seeker? Battlemind? Monk? Psion? And what place do Assassins have alongside Avengers?

Quickleaf

Legend
Just a quick update... I had a flash of inspiration but it's leading me pretty far afield from AQ as it was originally conceived. I came up with a fate/destiny/eternal power source and its associated myth and 8 fleshed out class concepts... so much for staying on track :)

Remove ads