Formatting- Quotes Not Coming Out Correctly

lowkey13

I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Hi Everybody!

(HI DR. NICK!)

Now tell Dr. Nick where is the trouble.

...so, @Dannyalcatraz first pointed out a problem in my posts, specifically, this one-

https://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?659985-Why-are-we-okay-with-violence-in-RPGs&p=7618903&viewfull=1#post7618903

Since then, two other commenters have noted the same problem. @pemerton @Manbearcat

Q. What is the problem?

A. I don't know- I can't see it! Everything looks good to me.

But it looks like, from what is in Danny's post-
https://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?659985-Why-are-we-okay-with-violence-in-RPGs&p=7619116&viewfull=1#post7619116

That my "quotes" are disappearing. It seems that pemerton reports it as a text formatting issue.

So, I think this is recent? Maybe an "https:" change? And it's not universal ... it looks fine to me.

Quotes that I use from someone else seem fine ...
I think it might just be a combination of:

Using the "quote" feature around text that I paste into the text box, and paste as "plain text formatting" (in order to avoid html issues).

But I'd like the Powers That Be to look at this, and either tell me it's a bug (with a fix on the server side?) or that I need to do things differently so everyone can see what I'm doing; I'm guessing that this bug has led to some recent miscommunications.

:)

EDIT-

Here's a test:

Necessary Disclaimer- I know not everyone plays the same way. I know not everyone thinks RPGs are violent, or enjoy violent RPGs.

Now, I'm as fond of ye ol' murderhoboing as the next person. As I always remark, "If God & Gygax didn't want us to kill Orcs, why did He make them out of XP?"

But as I've remarked about before, I play a lot of 1e and B/X modules that I convert to 5e. And something has been bugging me.
That was text that I just pasted, as plain text, and put "quote" tags around.

Dannyalcatraz

Staff member
Interesting. When I went back to your quote and looked in your post using the .edit feature, I could plainly see the color control had been formatted in, namely “COLOR=#333333”, right after the “QUOTE”.

Can you not see that?

lowkey13

Interesting. When I went back to your quote and looked in your post using the .edit feature, I could plainly see the color control had been formatted in, namely “COLOR=#333333”, right after the “QUOTE”.

Can you not see that?
No.

Everything looks absolutely normal to me.

lowkey13

By the way, the reason I am asking about this is that one of two things is happening:

1. My quotes have never come out correctly, and everyone has been too polite or disinterested to point out until the last two days, when suddenly everyone is noticing it; or

2. Something has changed that I'm not aware of.

lowkey13

YOU ARE CORRECT SIR

Invisible text in other thread and linked thread.

Is it invisible to you, as in "If I select the text, or change my color scheme, it appears!"

... or is it invisible, as in ... not there?

Dannyalcatraz

Staff member
Color formatting is the problem in some way. I can see the quote exists, but the formatting makes it invisible.

Manbearcat

Adventurer
Is it invisible to you, as in "If I select the text, or change my color scheme, it appears!"

... or is it invisible, as in ... not there?
The former.

my color scheme is default text on black background of that helps (I’m computer incompetent so that is the best I got).

lowkey13

Color formatting is the problem in some way. I can see the quote exists, but the formatting makes it invisible.
Not to add to the mystery, but-

1. I use a white background. So I wouldn't see a problem. It appears that [MENTION=6696971]Manbearcat[/MENTION] (and you, maybe?) use black ones.

2. However ..... what happened when you quoted my post? Shouldn't your quote of my entire post have caused the text to pop back out, at least on my screen? When I saw you quoting me, the quote was gone. Do you know what I'm saying?

pemerton

Legend
I use the traditional colour scheme (white post text, orange button text, on black background).

In the post I mentioned in the "literary endeavour" thread there are two quote blocks. The first I can read. The second is, for me, an empty quote block. When I highlight it the text appears. I assume that the text has COLOR tags around it that are making it black.

In the past when posters have had this issue I believe it's been because they're preparing posts in Word or some similar formatting-rich environment, and then when they copy-and-paste into the message board editor the formatting tags are carried along with the text.
[MENTION=6799753]lowkey13[/MENTION], I can't recall if this is a recurrent feature of your posts or not. In the case of the particular post I commented on it was the particluar context of the phrase "My last post", which I realised I'd probably misinterpreted, that made the invisible quote salient to me. Maybe you've had invisible quotes in the past too but I haven't commented on them because it hasn't seemed to matter in that context.

So anyway, after writing the above I went back through the thread and found post 409 on May 21st (my time). It has 3 quoteblocks. One is fully visible to me. One is fully invisible to me (unless I hightlight text). One is invisible except for the last six words.

So I don't think this has anything to do with https. I would guess it's to do with the environment where you are writing/editing your posts.

lowkey13

So I don't think this has anything to do with https. I would guess it's to do with the environment where you are writing/editing your posts.
Strangely, I just use the website. Nothing fancy.

But I am guessing that what is happening is that I pasting as "plain text" (to remove formatting problems that are popping up) and that is somehow forcing it into black, as opposed to "automatic text coloring."

And it only happens in those quotes because I only copy and paste into those ersatz quotes I do (to quote other stuff).

....let's try this-

I use the traditional colour scheme (white post text, orange button text, on black background).

In the post I mentioned in the "literary endeavour" thread there are two quote blocks. The first I can read. The second is, for me, an empty quote block. When I highlight it the text appears. I assume that the text has COLOR tags around it that are making it black.
That's a pure cut and paste.

That's a cut and a "plain text" paste.

...now, I'm going to alter my background colors and start messing around and see if I can capture it. Thanks everyone!

lowkey13

Woah!

I just switched from Reborn to Legacy (White to Black) ...

so, the problem wasn't when I cut and pasted with plain text ... it was when I just NATURALLY CUT AND PASTED.

I was not expecting that, at all. I don't even understand that???? That is exact opposite of what should have happened.

Advertisement