• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fortitude Saves for Multi-Class

ren1999

First Post
If you have a fighter 1 rogue 2, how to do you calculate the fortitude save if the bonus numbers are found on two different class tables?

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
You add them up, same as you do with BAB and the other two saves. A Ftr 1 / Rog 2 would have (base) attack bonus +2, Fortitutde +2, Reflex +3, Will +0. At rogue 3 (I'm assuming that's what's next for this character), BAB, and base fort and will would all go up by 1.

1Mac

First Post
Related question: By RAW, what's the Fortitude bonus for Fighter 1/Ranger 1? If it's +4, I'm of the opinion that it shouldn't be. Save progressions that are alike should be treated as from a single class, not added together.

ren1999

First Post
You add them up, same as you do with BAB and the other two saves. A Ftr 1 / Rog 2 would have (base) attack bonus +2, Fortitutde +2, Reflex +3, Will +0. At rogue 3 (I'm assuming that's what's next for this character), BAB, and base fort and will would all go up by 1.

O.k. So the bonuses are stackable. I just look at the two tables and add fighter 1 and rogue 2 bonuses.

SteelDraco

First Post
Multiple classes with similar saves will get you some high saving throws, that's true. It will also tend to cripple saves that don't overlap. BAB will generally suffer as well. In Pathfinder with the way class skills work, multiple classes will generally be very good for skills, especially if they don't have much in common, class-skill-wise.

Lots of multiclassing still isn't very good in Pathfinder most of the time, particularly for spellcasting types. You end up with a greater variety of low-level powers that don't match up to what your opposition can do.

In 3.x we used to track levels of good and bad saves, as well as high, medium, and poor BAB, and combine them so that these oddities went away. For example, a Fighter 5/Cleric 5 would have 10 levels of good Fortitude, ten levels of poor Reflex, five levels of good Will and five levels of poor Will. You'd add the levels of the same type together and use that level's bonus. I don't really feel it's necessary any more.

Ramaster

Adventurer
In 3.x we used to track levels of good and bad saves, as well as high, medium, and poor BAB, and combine them so that these oddities went away. For example, a Fighter 5/Cleric 5 would have 10 levels of good Fortitude, ten levels of poor Reflex, five levels of good Will and five levels of poor Will. You'd add the levels of the same type together and use that level's bonus. I don't really feel it's necessary any more.

Go with this. This is what my group uses too, and is by far the fairest aproach

ren1999

First Post
Thanks. I went back and found the stacking rules for bonuses.

More questions.

What is the exact formula for calculating flat-footed armor class, and touch armor class?

Every level-up, does a rogue get 8+intelligence modifier skill rank points?

kalgani

First Post
Flat fooded - no DEX (and all AC feats that need DEX like Dodge) that´s all
Touch - no Armor AC, no natural armor AC and noch Shield AC. DEX and deflection are still added.

8+INT mod every level = yes you are right, the rogue is still the skilljunkie.

frankthedm

First Post
In 3.x we used to track levels of good and bad saves, as well as high, medium, and poor BAB, and combine them so that these oddities went away. For example, a Fighter 5/Cleric 5 would have 10 levels of good Fortitude, ten levels of poor Reflex, five levels of good Will and five levels of poor Will. You'd add the levels of the same type together and use that level's bonus.
Fairly elegant. Many folks who want fractional BAB balk at fractional saves. The two compliment each other IMHO.

Remove ads