Forum Suddenly Switched How Named Are Displayed?

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I do not prefer it either.

The font for the Likes and Laughs is really large now, almost appearing to distract from the message body.

Can't see people's badges (some folks bought those so...).

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
It is a demonstrable point in the UX field that initial negative feedback is not as helpful as you might think. In the short term, humans typically react negatively to change they don't themselves initiate.

The real question will be how folks feel about it in a few weeks or so, after the shock of unannounced change wears off.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
It is a demonstrable point in the UX field that initial negative feedback is not as helpful as you might think. In the short term, humans typically react negatively to change they don't themselves initiate.

The real question will be how folks feel about it in a few weeks or so, after the shock of unannounced change wears off.

You have a valid point.

However, there are other considerations.

Initial negative feedback WITHOUT data points is just a gut reaction, much as you say. "I don't know why I don't like this, however RAGE!"

However, an initial reaction , such as not liking blue text on a bluer background, missing functions, etc (just general examples) is valid initially and over time. Its actual feedback.

Then of course there are ways of implementing change to reduce the "shock". Unfreeze, Change, Refreeze. Probably not a process you want to use in a widely vocal internet arena, you would be overwhelmed by getting folks to buy into the concepts, but some of the concepts could be used. Post a thread in Meta "Going to Test Layout?"

Finally, it depends on goals, if the change initiator wants the change, for reasons (speed, cost savings, preference, etc.) then the longer you go past the initial change, the easier it is to keep it. As it becomes the new norm, people get tired of mentioning it, or new folks don't even know there was a change.

Anyway, not a show stopper, thanks for the discussion with us [MENTION=177]Umbran[/MENTION].

Kaodi

Hero
Interestingly the notification at the bottom of posts for XP awarded is now much larger. It used to be more postscript size but now it is fully formed. I am not sure what the reasoning behind that would be if this were an intentional change. I could perhaps learn to live with the format change but the XP change just takes up more space on the page needlessly.

Edit: I looked again and the XP text is actually larger than regular text.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
I'm fine with people getting a style they may like better. I would just also like the option to have my display the way I would prefer as well.

Right now, I find all of the horizontal graphics pretty distracting from the meat of the actual thread and posts. Almost gives me a headache to try and read.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/they)
I'm sure I could get used to this change, to the extent that if it were to eventually shift back just as suddenly it would be just as jarring.

That said, the lack of displayed badges is troubling considering, again, some folks have paid actual currency for them.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases