• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fourthcore has Died

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
Nah, I avoid most forums at all costs but I just figured since EN world is "the" forum of tabletop RPG's and it's been around for a really long time there would be increased chance of trolling, sorry. It's definitely enlightening actually surfing and lurking around here the past day or so though to be honest, maybe I'll stick around?

I just said "mostly" to cover my bases so no one could pull the troll card of "you think you're something special" etc etc. Once again, very guarded about forums and sorry about that one too.

Forever traumatized by forums,

Jerry
I hope that you will. For what it's worth, the moderation on ENWorld is excellent, especially in a forum dedicated to a subject. ENWorld does have it share of 4E haters, but they largely stay out of this forum. Some great discussions on the game happen here.

Robtheman

First Post
Community management is the core of the problem with 4e at this moment. The community of consumers is stretched around the globe, often don't know each other, have few ways of meeting each other outside of game stores and is generally composed of geeks (myself included). A strong hand with community building, coherent messaging and development cycles, and a reputation for doing what they say would go a long way to alleviating the Fourthcore developer's frustration, I think.

Obryn

Hero
Nah, I avoid most forums at all costs but I just figured since EN world is "the" forum of tabletop RPG's and it's been around for a really long time there would be increased chance of trolling, sorry. It's definitely enlightening actually surfing and lurking around here the past day or so though to be honest, maybe I'll stick around?
Hah!

Really, after hanging out at the WotC forums too much for my own good, ENWorld is like a breath of fresh air. I just wish I could get here from work. :)

IMO, boards work best when there's either strict and obvious moderation (here, RPG.net) or self-moderated (Circvs). WotC's forum is that weird no-man's land, where you can see that a post got edited, you can see someone got banned, and you can see when a Mod warns people to be nice ... but you never really know why. As such, it can't serve as an example to others.

Now, the General and Business forums can descend into edition warring sometimes, but there's often good edition discussion there, too.

-O

catastrophic

First Post
Just wanted to pop in and say thanks to all of you for your mostly kind words and support. I honestly didn't expect that from the EN world crowd so it was a pleasant surprise to stumble upon this.

Fourthcore will live on, through dedicated community members and designers like myself. Stay tuned :)
Honestly, i'm not your target audience, but it sounds a lot like you were just involved in the wrong comunities to get support for this sort of thing, and enworld might be a lot more of what you're looknig for, despite what you think. It's probably also looking elsewhere if you have not, to places like rpg.net. To be frank, the more places you go, assuming you don't blaze a trail of flamewars in the process, the better you're likely to get exposure with people who might like your product.

Do we ENWorlders have some kind of dark reputation of which I am unaware? Are we known as merciless trolls? Fervent Edition Warriors? Haters without equal? Do we smell funny?
It's very common for people to gain an impression of a forum that is not accurate. in any large comunity, unless things are very homogenous, initial, and even ongoing impressions often aren't representitive of the comunity as a whole.

Last edited:

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
Compared to a lot of other RPG forums, especially the WotC ones, ENWorld is downright civilized, with the possible exception of the previously mentioned General and Business subsections. They're still (mostly) well moderated, but if you want an edition war, look no further than General - go in there and say something nice about 4th edition and by page 3 you will have an edition war. I have noticed that by and large, that they are started by the bitter 3.x'ers, but this is not exclusively the case.

Dr_Ruminahui

First Post
To be fair, we've had some of that here in regards to Essentials, though it has largely died down... to the point that some of the discussions between the pro camp and an the con camp can be give a quite interesting look into the essentials design phylosophies.

Pentius

First Post
Oh, every once in awhile an old edition fan gets rowdy and comes in here swinging. The main difference between here and the WotC boards when that happens is that here, the majority ignore it and continue their discussion. At WotC, they can usually find someone to slug it out with.

Remove ads