• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Foxglove manor haunts

Grimmjow

First Post
Okay so their are six haunts in foxglove manor and then a set of universal haunts. If i only have three players (who will be tied to insane, obsessive, and plauge) do all the other listed haunts affect everyone? or do i just ignor the wrathful (for example) haunt whenever she showes up?

Einherjar101

First Post
Don't actually know the material but I think I understand the problem. I agree with stormonu in that you can just ignore the none relevant haunts or maybe make it a bit more interesting by having them manifest in some small amount when the players get close the them but the haunts just ignore or not effect the players and dissipate after a short time.

If this leaves the game short of haunts then I suggest just making your own haunts specific to insanity, obsessiveness and plague and throwing those in there.

Kinak

First Post
According to the text (Anniversary Edition page 90), the unassigned haunts become universal and effect everyone. Which is pretty brutal. I ended up just assigning it to whoever felt appropriate as they entered the room.

One thing I'd suggest from running them is offer people more choices dealing with the haunts. Describe what's going on and ask them what they do.

If they just try to resist or disbelieve the haunt, let that succeed deal them some Wisdom damage (say 1d4 or 1d6, Will save for half). If they stand their ground or give a wishy-washy response, hit them with the written effect. That sort of thing.

The haunts as written aren't very interactive and are basically "Enter the room, creepy thing happens, roll a save. Repeat." Some choices would help people get invested in the growing doom.

That said, the haunts part of that adventure as written was the most scared I'd ever had players. So, if you don't want to do the work rewriting the haunts, just describe things in loving detail and run with it.

Oh, and my favorite from my run through the house: Call for Perception checks. Tell whoever gets the highest that they see something (like a face looking through the window) or hear something (like footsteps on the floor above them, pacing back and forth). If they try to point it out to anyone else, it stops or they simply can't hear it.

So much paranoia.

Cheers!
Kinak

Remove ads