[FR] Where does Gargauth Live?

Kyrail

First Post
So he lives on the Prime Material Plane, but does anything ever reference where in particular he resides?

Gargauth is the arch-devil demigod of corruption, I would imagine he has possession of some city somewhere unknown to the residents.

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
I have vague memory about him living in Myth Drannor currently. Can't remember where I got that though.

Faraer

Explorer
Gargauth has no permanent dwelling place -- he was exiled from Baator to wander the Prime Material Plane. He doesn't spend a majority of time on any single world, but tends to appear suddenly and briefly. See Powers & Pantheons for more.

Shemeska

Adventurer
Considering that he isn't restricted to just Toril, the prime material is a big place indeed. I could easily see him wandering planet to planet, working his influence as much as possible before whatever gods were already worshipped there took notice and forced him to relocate.

Shemeska

Adventurer
Blackrat said:
I have vague memory about him living in Myth Drannor currently. Can't remember where I got that though.

That would be Malkazid, a fallen Solar once in the service of the Seldarine, who subsequently rose to minor nobility in Baator before being cast out. I wouldn't classify him as anything close to even a moderate player on the planes, but he currently controls a force of renegade devils and yugoloth mercenaries and has established himself a fiefdom of sorts on the Gray Waste (or the Barrens of Doom of Despair if you use the 3e FR cosmology).

Ripzerai

Explorer
According to Dragon #28, Gargauth (called Astaroth there) is "the devil in charge of supervising the activities of devils in the United Sates. This would seem to indicate that the devils find the United States of great importance and stature, for no other nation has a devil of such rank overseeing it. He may also be partially responsible for all the commercial type that Americans are subject to."

That article is considered noncanon, of course, according to the article itself. Still, it's an amusing (if provincial) tidbit.

Remove ads