• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Frazetta is inspiring me!

GMSkarka

Explorer
Frazetta is a major inspiration for a product that I'm working on for 2005: A write up of Mars as a science-fantasy setting, usable for either D20 or D20 Modern, inspired by Burroughs, Moorcock, Howard, Vance, etc.

If anybody knows of any artists working in the industry who can do that style of art, drop me a line at gms@adamantentertainment.com .

Warrior Poet

Explorer
Sir Elton said:
Really, seriously, being beached upon atlantis without any gear is a great way to start!

Sounds cool! :cool:

I did a shipwreck/washed-up-on-beach start to a campaign once, and it's a cool challenge for the players. They had to pick through the wreckage to try and put together some equipment: a weapon here, a bit of armor there, a shield, maybe a sack, damp rope, etc.

Do you envision the PCs knowing about Atlantis, or it being totally alien and something they have to uncover answers about?

Larry Niven had a cool concept for Atlantis in a novel called The Magic Goes Away. Basically, it was only the magic of the priest-kings that kept Atlantis afloat. When the Greeks invaded and slew the priest-kings, the magic died, and then came the water. So much for Atlantis, so much for the Greek invasion fleet.

What do you have planned for Atlantis, and the PCs?

Thanks,

Warrior Poet

Sir Elton

First Post
Warrior Poet said:
Sounds cool! :cool:

I did a shipwreck/washed-up-on-beach start to a campaign once, and it's a cool challenge for the players. They had to pick through the wreckage to try and put together some equipment: a weapon here, a bit of armor there, a shield, maybe a sack, damp rope, etc.

Do you envision the PCs knowing about Atlantis, or it being totally alien and something they have to uncover answers about?

Larry Niven had a cool concept for Atlantis in a novel called The Magic Goes Away. Basically, it was only the magic of the priest-kings that kept Atlantis afloat. When the Greeks invaded and slew the priest-kings, the magic died, and then came the water. So much for Atlantis, so much for the Greek invasion fleet.

What do you have planned for Atlantis, and the PCs?

Thanks,

Warrior Poet
A way for the DM to have Atlantis in his Campaign World. You heard of GURPS Fantasy, or GURPS Yrth and it's Banestorm, right? Well, right when the Greeks invaded they destroyed Atlantean world power and some how they ended up in another dimension (re. Material Plane, or DM's Material Plane). The PCs don't expect Atlantis to be there.

The Atlanteans use a sort of psionic technology to supplement their own. Although they have good followers of the God Hermes (re Wizards or Hermetic Magicians), the Atlanteans use psionic power as their primary energy source. Since the Greeks destroyed that capability, the Atlanteans are now are an impoverished nation -- something like Greece and Egypt is today. To symbolize this national poverty, the Atlanteans generally wear an insufficient covering called a harness. Which is like the Barsoom harness in ERB's A Princess of Mars and other Barsoom novels. The harnesses also come in different styles, but the Jockstrap Harness is very popular among the men and the G-string harness is very popular among the women.

When we do our Pulp game (meaning Atlantean Press), however, we are going to have a scenario where Atlantis didn't sink. I mean, having Atlantis survive as a domed underwater city has been done to death, so after reading GURPS Atlantis, having an Atlantis that didn't sink would be very cool.

For the PCs, they are shipwrecked on Atlantis without nary a stitch and all their gear. As to what happens after then, I can offer some guidelines but it's up to the DM and the Players. :)

Sir Elton

First Post
Oh yeah. Another thing:

I'm planning to give experience awards differently for the module. The PCs will advance slower than usual, but at least the PCs will be rewarded for something else besides survival. Anything that will help the Players to grow in their roles would be a plus! :D

JoeGKushner

First Post
I've enjoyed Frank's work for a long time.

I have the original 12 Conan novels with his covers on them.

Some of the older Mayfair Role Aids books actually have his cover work on them.

This doesn't count his work in other veins that I've seen.

Truly a classic.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads