D&D 5E Free 5e adventure for 3rd level including VTT + physical maps! Feedback would be appreciated

Hi all, I just released a free adventure for 5e (my first one so far, that I ran in my previous campaign). Looking to release a heap of free adventures going forward and looking for feedback. I've included maps for the encounters in both gridded, gridless, and printable for physical tables!

Also looking for someone who'd like to do art for the adventures too.

aco175

Legend
First, welcome to the site. Second, not sure if you placed the thread in right place but a moderator will move it if needed so do not worry.

I briefly looked at the adventure and thought it was overall fine, but the last part with the monster stats. I think you should just modify the statblocks with the power directly and rename it. You show the block for a goblin and call them the corn monster. You then go on to have a text block telling DMs the modified part such as the goblin scimitar is the corn monster claw attack and how the leather armor of the goblin is the corn monster natural armor and such. I would save the time and confusion of just modifying it for the DM.

There also seems to be a spelling mistake in the yellow box at the end of part 2 where you describe the corn monsters having thing cob bodies, perhaps it was to be thin.

I did not look at the maps, I'm not a VTT player.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
I've downloaded the adventure. Thanks for the heads-up!

I really appreciate that you included three different formats for the maps. I would have loved some tokens for the monsters as well.

Also, I really liked the color-coded text boxes.

I've downloaded the adventure. Thanks for the heads-up!

I really appreciate that you included three different formats for the maps. I would have loved some tokens for the monsters as well.

Also, I really liked the color-coded text boxes.
I'd love to include tokens however I'll need someone artsy to assist with that, as anything I add would be found on google = copywrite unfortunately haha the maps I did myself to ensure all legitimate.

Please let me know your thoughts.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Thanks for sharing, I really like the clear layout and organization of the adventure. Really helps with prepping and running an adventure. I agree with @aco175 that you chould just redo the stat block for the corn monster instead of putting the goblin statblock and text on what to change.

The VTT maps look very easy to bring into any VTT and kudos for including no-grid options!

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter

Hi all, I just released a free adventure for 5e (my first one so far, that I ran in my previous campaign). Looking to release a heap of free adventures going forward and looking for feedback. I've included maps for the encounters in both gridded, gridless, and printable for physical tables!

Also looking for someone who'd like to do art for the adventures too.
Thanks for sharing and I agree with the comments on the layout and on re-skinning the statblocks.
Tonally the adventure is whimsical and somewhat twee and I think that the given plot hooks do not match with the tone of the rest of the thing. I would also be inclined to replace Demeter with a fey or a hag.
I would replace the tractor with a reaper or some other piece of horse drawn machinery. A tractor is pretty anachronistic for most D&D campaigns. Same with the record player, make it a magical music box.
With regard to the corn maze, I would instruct the DM only to use the map once the party had reached the centre of the maze. The adventure seems to imply this but I did not catch it on the first couple of read through. As a country boy, I have an issue with the maze description. If it is green and verdant it is probably not flammable but if it is withered or ripe it is flammable.
For added fun I would make it verdant around the edges and more flammable toward the centre and I would not hide it behind a DC for anyone proficient in Nature or with a rural background.

The maze needs work: What happens if the party decides that "it is only corn" and decides to walk through the walls of the maze?
What if the use a familiar or pet to fly over it and guide them?
My inclination would be 3 successful Nature checks would get them to the centre of the maze and anyone proficient in Nature or Survival could aid the check.
A fail by 5 or less (i.e. beat a DC 10) would count as successful navigation but trigger trap 1, fail by more than 5 and you fail the navigation and it triggers trap 2 and two fails in a row triggers trap 3 (this one is pretty harsh)
A success of 5 or more and they notice the corn is riper toward the centre and the DC drops by 5 if they had a previous success.

With regard to the wheat field map are the different terrain types show just artistic or do they matter? Is some standing wheat and block line of sight or act as difficult terrain or what?

Remove ads