D&D 5E Free 60+ page Guide to Sword & Sorcery for 5E D&D

The basis of this argument is this: MARD is appropriate for any game where combat is not a desired state

Your premise isn’t wholly correct. You’re overstating the impact of these rules on the game. As Xoth very clearly pointed out in his last post ,the stages you would need to go through for character death (not just zero hit points) still makes death unlikely. I’ve mentioned before, any genre elements for example “grit” are on a sliding scale. let’s say you have wfrp at one end and 5e at the other. Wfrp is in a different league of grit compared to what we are talking about here. You can sneeze in wfrp fall on your sword, and die from your wounds 3 days later. That’s more like game of thrones level of futility your describing.
The D&D hero aspect is still a central part of the game in Xoths proposals, but with a little pinch of mortal vulnerability. Steal is the ultimate weapon and no mortal can escape that.

What’s proposed is nothing like the futility of play you just described, where players are afraid of combat, that’s much more wfrp’s realm, though even that has martial characters built for battle.

let’s take this further, if we slide the scale of grit higher in Xoth’s game we could introduce other elements like more frequently achievable take-downs, or the “fumble”. With the fumble we would be getting into the lower fantasy fantasy realm which models accidental/calamitous self inflicted wounds. That would be inappropriate IMO in a game of S&S mediated through DnD 5e. That’s taking it too far on the scale of grit IMO, and to levels more appropriate to Game of thrones as you have descibed

In contrast to the fumble, critical’s (and deadly critical’s) are very much part of the flavour of the S&S genre. Extraordinary hits that can cleeve a foe, remove a sorcerer’s head before he/she has a chance to cast their evil magic. That’s the power of steal, and its fully genre appropriate.

Hero’s should have things partly weighted in their favour, to avoid many of these outcomes in the game on themselves, and Xoth has provided that with the sacrificing a weapon/shield rule, 5e has provided the other tools to safe guard most adventurers. Most people admit it’s quite a safe system for players. That’s why it can take a little slide up on the scale of grit without it turning into a different genre, as you seem afraid it will.

As has been pointed out there should be a risk of failure in any game of D&D to make it playable. The whole game is premised on chance of success or failure. If we’re sticking to the Conan stories then we shouldn’t allow those elements in our game at all - Conan shouldn’t fail his climb up the sorcerer’s tower for example.

The optional rules also serve a purpose to colour the atmosphere of the game, in-line with S&S elements. It can be a cruel world, with little moral compass for example, death is always a possibility. Our hero’s are more heroic for the risks they take in such a world.

An element of Grit is genre appropriate in S&S. I sat through 1982’s Conan, very gritty film with gory deaths, and one-shot take downs. Even lost one of the protagonists, and nearly lost Conan. But steal always has the last word.

S'mon

Legend
If we’re sticking to the Conan stories then we shouldn’t allow those elements in our game at all - Conan shouldn’t fail his climb up the sorcerer’s tower for example.
Not exactly - some good GM advice I read from Ron Edwards in Sorcerer & Sword, Conan fails often but never looks incompetent. So a failed climb check should be dramatically described as eg stones suddenly come loose from the crumbling wall, Conan with his pantherish reflexes twists aside and survives the fall where a lesser man would be crushed by the tumbling masonry.

Not exactly - some good GM advice I read from Ron Edwards in Sorcerer & Sword, Conan fails often but never looks incompetent. So a failed climb check should be dramatically described as eg stones suddenly come loose from the crumbling wall, Conan with his pantherish reflexes twists aside and survives the fall where a lesser man would be crushed by the tumbling masonry.
Yes good way to describe it. Not disputing that. But the point is there’s a chance for you to fail in the game, unlike Conan who will always succeed in the end.
You also have to ask yourself are we playing Conan where nothing can affect him because of canon? It’s the equivalent of playing Gandalf in lord of the rings. Pretty boring from my point of view.

There are many ways you could write a bespoke game, though, and I’m not disputing your approach that you’ve suggested, I’m defending what to me is very genre appropriate for the reasons I’ve outlined.
Judging by discussion here ( which seems possibly polarised) Xoth has got the balance just right. There’s the standard 5e mode, and optional rule suggestions.

Last edited:

I really like that. I would like to think that I handle poor rolls like that for characters 5th+ level. The thief avoids all the squeaky boards, but just right then the guard needs to stretch turns around and looks right at them. I'll be more mindful of that amongst the skillful.

FXR

Explorer
Yes good way to describe it. Not disputing that. But the point is there’s a chance for you to fail in the game, unlike Conan who will always succeed in the end.
You also have to ask yourself are we playing Conan where nothing can affect him because of canon? It’s the equivalent of playing Gandalf in lord of the rings. Pretty boring from my point of view.

S&S main characters all lean on competent side, regardless of Conan. Red Sonja, Jirel of Joiry and Kull all feel competent, so do Fhard and the Gray Mouser.

From my experience, people who want to play a S&S game want to play characters such as those I mentioned, not some run-of-the-mill guard who gets kill by the first bandit he meets. However, competent doesn't mean invincible. Even Conan knew when retreat or stealth was a better option than regular combat.

xoth.publishing

Swords against tentacles!
I hope you see my point. I'm not dead set against you adding various rules; I just don't see the genre-specific justification, and I feel a supplement like your is better off when kept lean, slim and to the point :)
I'd like to thank you (and others who have contributed to the discussion) for your thoughtful input. Obviously I don't always agree or have the same vision for the supplement, but I do appreciate the feedback!

xoth.publishing

Swords against tentacles!
There is a new update of the Player's Guide available (version 1.10).

The changes in this version include:
  • Added examples of ability score arrays.
  • Noted that low Intelligence score reduces starting languages.
  • Added (optional) "Deadly Critical" rule to replace Instant Death.
  • Added exhaustion rule after being unconscious.
  • Added clause about full HD recovery on long rest.
  • Added Artificer as playable class.
  • Added background on Howard's cyclic history and "barbarism vs civilization" theory to the Cultures of Xoth chapter first page.
  • Adjusted some race descriptions to increase variety in the suggested cultures.
  • Noted that rapiers do not exist.
  • Sushranite longbows can add Strength to damage.

Enjoy! :)

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
I was recently told no nipples in my Dragonsfoot PBP game - not even Frazetta art nipples! O Tempora O Mores! :-O
“Life was such a wheel that no man could stand upon it for long. And it always, at the end, came round to the same place again.” -Stephen King, The Stand.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases