D&D 5E Free 60+ page Guide to Sword & Sorcery for 5E D&D

There is a new update of the Player's Guide available (version 1.10).

The changes in this version include:
  • Added examples of ability score arrays.
  • Noted that low Intelligence score reduces starting languages.
  • Added (optional) "Deadly Critical" rule to replace Instant Death.
  • Added exhaustion rule after being unconscious.
  • Added clause about full HD recovery on long rest.
  • Added Artificer as playable class.
  • Added background on Howard's cyclic history and "barbarism vs civilization" theory to the Cultures of Xoth chapter first page.
  • Adjusted some race descriptions to increase variety in the suggested cultures.
  • Noted that rapiers do not exist.
  • Sushranite longbows can add Strength to damage.

Enjoy! :)
Really like these changes. They all have an appropriate impact on the game.

On balance I think it’s a good call to leave out the tweak to instant death. Whilst I agreed with its change of emphasis, and how it flattens the heroic survivability a little, it’s not necessarily (I’m on the fence here) important enough to the game. But the switch to the deadly critical hits the notes I would look for in an S&S game exactly. It’s colourful for all the right reasons, and 5e provides a decent safety net for pcs.

Regarding the Artificer class, I gather it’s from a supplemental book, Tasha’s Cauldron of everything? Not sure but should reference to where it’s found be put into the text somewhere?

meltdownpass

Explorer
Just stumbled on this thread and have to say this is the kind of supplement that makes me actually consider running a 5e game. Kudos for putting in the work and making this available. Typical D&D assumptions generally rob so much mystery and drama out of the game that I'm loathe to run one without making massive houserules. The other side of that is it's really a lot to ask of players to get them to read and absorb a ton of houserules -- Something like this is easy for me to point to and get everyone on the same page.

CapnZapp

Legend
Since this thread - and presumably its audience - has grown quite considerably, here are what I would personally add on top of the recently released version 1.10.

• replace the second instance of repeated artwork, ideally with more Frazettian pieces of mighty men and voluptuous women
  • rename race to nationality
  • have players choose culture before nationality. Whether you're Civilized or Nomadic is the most defining aspect of a character, while your race or nationality is almost a footnote. Also, being given a list of which races support Civilized (or Nomadic etc) characters is much more natural, in my opinion, than trying to remember which exact cultures are supported by each nationality
  • offer a "men are mighty, women are voluptuous" optional rule that says that the starting Charisma of male characters is limited to 13 (instead of 15) before racial cultural modifiers. In the same way, the starting Strength of female characters is limited to 13 (instead of 15) before cultural modifiers.
  • simplify Deadly Criticals to simply say a critical hit kills any lower-leveled enemy encountered en masse (aka "mooks")

Most of this have been touched upon one way or another earlier in the thread.

CapnZapp

Legend
If I were to run 5th Edition again, I would probably make it clear the campaign would go from 1st to 10th level rather than all the way up to 20th level. Now, I remember how sparse and underwhelming high-level class features are for the most part, and would be tempted to simply say you count your class level double for purposes of gaining class features.

Obviously this is crude and rough, but it would solve the problem where a Ranger is supposed to feel anticipation for features like Hide in Plain Sight or Feral Senses - abilities that will wreck nothing if handed out at level 5 and 9 respectively. (So a Conqueror gains Aura of Protection at level 3 instead of 6, while a Barbarian gains Primal Champion and unlimited rages at level 10, not 20)

The first exception to this is (obviously?) hit points. A level 5 hero still has hit points like a level 5 character.

The other exception to this would be spells and slots. So a level 5 caster would still only have access to level 3 spells in level 3 slots. This basically means that damage spells can be allowed or restricted any way you like; they remain firmly uncompetitive compared to weapon damage. Spells that doesn't deal damage, however, remain just as effective as before.

This only applies to the spellcasting class feature. Other class features that give access to spells work as any other class feature. For instance, a Seducer Courtier gains Kiss of Domination (and its Dominate Person spell) at level 7, not 14. A Warlock could gain the Dreadful Word Eldritch Invocation (and its Confusion spell) at level 4, not 7.

Edit: Maybe this could best be discussed in a thread of its own to not obscure any Xoth-specific questions in this one...

FXR

Explorer
If I were to run 5th Edition again, I would probably make it clear the campaign would go from 1st to 10th level rather than all the way up to 20th level. Now, I remember how sparse and underwhelming high-level class features are for the most part, and would be tempted to simply say you count your class level double for purposes of gaining class features.

Edit: Maybe this could best be discussed in a thread of its own to not obscure any Xoth-specific questions in this one...

I'm not sure that it would be necessary to tinker with levels. The PCs in my D&D5e S&S campaign have reached level 11th and, thanks to bonded accuracy, are far from invincible. For instance, they still have at least one weak saving throw. Of course, I don't necessarily go easy on them. I'm stingy with rests, they have very few magical items and only one NPC can heal. Not every combat is a life or death situation, but do not underestimate what a few number of lower-stakes combat can do.

S'mon

Legend
The reason would be to avoid the spells and hit points of high level in the simplest possible way.

I think the simplest way would be to stick to levels 1-10 as per your original idea. Reducing XP awards if necessary.
Some high level class features are underwhelming, but some stuff like infinite wildshape & infinite rage is very powerful, moreso than level 9 spells I think.

CapnZapp

Legend
some stuff like infinite wildshape & infinite rage is very powerful, moreso than level 9 spells I think.
Well, I'm sure you noticed that capstone abilities would still be enjoyed during a single level only, just not the one numbered 20 but 10 instead.

S'mon

Legend
Well, I'm sure you noticed that capstone abilities would still be enjoyed during a single level only, just not the one numbered 20 but 10 instead.
How much play time for you is at capstone level? I have 5e campaigns that run dozens of sessions at 20th, so I didn't really think about it being only a couple sessions at 10th.

Remove ads