• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Free LOTR Widescreen DVD at EB with Trade-In

Tewligan

First Post
Alaric_Prympax said:

Yes Furn_Darkside, AFAIK the boxed November release will have the 2 disc movie, then 2 discs with all the extra stuff (I don't know for a fact if the 2 movie discs will have the extra scenes but believe they will), a revised National Geographic Special on LotR, either 3 expansion packs or 3 cards from Decipher for the card games and the Argonath statues from Sideshow/Weta. It'll retail for $79.95 but I pre-ordered it on DeepdiscountDVD.com for $52.82 and free shipping!
Yeah, the extra scenes will be on the movie discs. You won't have the option of watching the shorter version of the movie with this set. Also, I think (and I could very well be wrong) that the set you're referring to is one of two November LotR releases. The statue and such are, I believe, a "deluxe" packaging of the longer version that's coming out at the same time at a more reasonable price.

dagger

Adventurer
I wonder if this applies to the EB hear in Austin and if that EB is even still in buisness ( I have not been to the mall in years). :)

Last edited:

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
Tewligan said:

Yeah, the extra scenes will be on the movie discs. You won't have the option of watching the shorter version of the movie with this set. Also, I think (and I could very well be wrong) that the set you're referring to is one of two November LotR releases. The statue and such are, I believe, a "deluxe" packaging of the longer version that's coming out at the same time at a more reasonable price.

This is essentially correct. The only place you can get the movie "as seen in theatres" is in the Aug 6 release. None of the extras overlap, and the November version is an extended version.

The 2-CD set has previews both of the Extended Version, and of the Two Towers (a 10 minute preview).

I want to have both versions of the movie, so I'll buy both. I especially want the TT preview! I've seen stills from it, and I'm excited.

I've heard the other extras on the 2-CD set are nothing all that special. No director commentary, either, sadly.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Furn_Darkside said:
I guess I will just have to wait until November and see which one peeks my interest. I find the idea of buying both absurd.
FD

I agree, Furn. If I were buying it, I wouldn't consider it worthwhile. However, I will check into this. If they are taking most movies for trade-in, I would gladly give up two movies I have little use for versus having a copy of LotR. Then, I will rent the november release, and see if it is worth the purchase.

Getting a movie essentially for free is always a good deal.

King_Stannis

Explorer
thanks zub! i called my local EB and they are honoring it until release date (must bring in movies before then).

for two crappy DVD's that i'm sure i can scrounge up - hell yeah i'll do it. it seems there is no strings attached.

King_Stannis

Explorer
just did this last night....it's for real. they do have an "exclusion list", so if anyone is thinking of doing it they may want to call EB to see if their DVD's are on the exclusion list. i imagine, though, it's just to keep adult videos and specialty DVD's (ie not feature length films) from being traded in. i traded in the original "planet of the apes" and "angel heart" and they accepted them with no problem.

Ashtal

Vengeance Bunny
There are EB's in Canada, too.

Though there was no mention of the DVD trade-ins when me and my BF were in there yesterday on an unrelated trade-in. :D

Zub

First Post
Ashtal said:
There are EB's in Canada, too.

Though there was no mention of the DVD trade-ins when me and my BF were in there yesterday on an unrelated trade-in. :D

It is strange that there is hardly any promotion for this. The salesman at my EB ecouraged me to tell everyone I knew about this. I was one of only a few who had taken advantage of this offer as of yesterday.

I'm glad some people are still finding this thread. When Eric moved it, I was worried that it would die a slow lingering death, since this forum doesn't generate hardly any traffic, compared to the others.

King_Stannis

Explorer
one final bump, as tomorrow is (i think) the last day for this promotion. remember, your 2 DVD's have to be traded in before the LotR release.

Remove ads