Dragonlance Free Monstrous Compendium Volume II Includes Dragon Highlord Verminaard

Over on D&D Beyond you can grab a copy of Dragonlance Creatures, the second digital official Monstrous Compendium volume. This volume includes entries from the original Dragonlance Chronicles storyline of the 1980s, such as Dragon Highlord Verminaard (at CR 17!) and his dragon, Ember, along with the Forest Master (the unicorn from Darken Wood) and others.

WotC did the same with Spelljammer, with Volume 1 of the Monstrous Compendium.

FF7C01F1-2434-4126-9532-7D054285ABCA.jpeg

ECF24A65-C14D-4AEF-853E-1771E96F703B.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I prefer the top one as it seems more clear.

The 2nd option implies someone could make an opportunity attack, but the creature just ignores. So if some cast a spell or uses a maneuver as an OA, would the loose that slot/use/die because technically they could make the attack, but the creature just ignores it? Of course maybe that is working as intended and that is the difference?
I don't know .. what does ignore mean there?

darjr

I crit!
(I'm not personally complaining about it. I was just referring to the fact that some people in one of the Dragonlance UA threads was complaining about WotC connecting the Feywild to "every setting".)
Yea. And I realize now that might be all the difference that counts.

Just I think it’s a bit too pendant. But I’m not the one with an issue with it so, OK.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Yea. And I realize now that might be all the difference that counts.

Just I think it’s a bit too pendant. But I’m not the one with an issue with it so, OK.
(I think it's too pedantic, too. I thought that it was funny that people were complaining about the Feywild being connected to Dragonlance when it has its own "fey realm" that could easily be connected to/a part of the Feywild.)

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I'm generally okay with the feywild being "added" though I never made much use of it in Dragonlance since it seemed such a small part of the setting.

Another setting with the feywild by another name is Mystara which has a fey realm that may as well be updated to the feywild in 5e.

Now that I'm reading the entries more closely - Ember and Verminaard are just a hugely nasty combo! Verminaard is immune to fire, so he can just stand there (well, more likely moving around using Tactical Movement) and bash the group while Ember can fly by using his breath weapon at will without worrying about hitting Verminaard, while Ember can benefit from Verminaard's Draconic Command when not using his breath weapon. Ember can send characters running in fear and knock them prone, and Verminaard can blind them. All the while shrugging off spells with legendary resistance. Any DM could re-skin them very easily to make truly formidable dual final bosses for a campaign.

Last edited:

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases