Free Freedomsworn: Table-top Revolution

Ryan Huffaker

First Post
My basic philosophy is this: That we, as a gaming community, have all the talent and understanding and motivation that we need in order to produce outstanding material for the hobby that we love and enjoy. All that's needed is for us to focus our efforts on praising the creativity and ingenuity of those who brave enough to take risks and step outside of the box. We are all free-thinkers and innovators, but we're also deeply suspicious of the outside world at large, and loathe to expose our ideas out of fear of ridicule and rejection. We are all deeply scarred, going all the way back to when we were first laughed at for playing make-believe at recess.

My objective is to foster the creation of an entirely different sort of online community, a community in which there is little or no differentiation between "fan" and "game-designer," and game material is shared freely and openly, without cost or criticism. We have far more power and potential than we realize, more than any publisher on the market, if only we were to take the initiative and stop stabbing each other in the back. This pertains to everything from game mechanics to creative content and visual artwork. The role-playing experience is at its best when you're doing everything that you can to give something back, to use your own creative talents to add to the whole. Why not apply this principle to the greater community as a whole?

To help spearhead this effort, I am in the process of rolling out an RPG that aims to energize and harness the creative talents of its collective fanbase. At it's core lies a game system that I've been working at practically from the day that I first began role-playing over fifteen years ago. It takes a modular approach to rules and design, so much that each element (weapon, ability, NPC kernel, etc) is formatted as a stand-alone card, meaning that you don't have to go flipping through a manual just to find the stats of something. Character attributes are represented by dice (1d4, 1d6, 1d8, 1d10, or 1d12) rather than abstract numbers or modifiers.

This is Freedomsworn, and it aims to be more than a mash-up between a card game and a table-top RPG. Rather than shackle its players to costly manuals or hideously-priced "booster packs", Freedomsworn is meant to run as a freely-distributed Android application, linked to a free online manual and open community forum. Not only does this allow for greater distribution and ease of access, but the app itself (beta version currently available on Google Play) has the ability to efficiently manage character data, effectively making the game paperless. You can also take notes, save information, and eventually be able to manage and coordinate all of the nitty-gritty details of combat initiative. Many of these features are already available, and all of them are currently in the works. Still skeptical? Download the app and check it out for yourself. It's free.

The best part is that you don't have to wait around for this to happen. You can get involved today and make a difference. The Table-top RPG Revolution is now, and it needs people with creativity and talent, those who have always wanted to make a difference but haven't been given an opportunity. It needs you.

Remove ads