From Concept to Spell: Planar Flux

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
I've come up with a concept for a spell and need some advice.

The spell creates a pocket of astral energy. Everything within the area of effect does not suffer from the ravages of time for the duration of the spell.
Based on this info, what level should the spell be and what classes should have access to it?

Last edited:

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Nifft said:
What is contained in the phrase "ravages of time"?

For example, do spell durations not expire?

-- N
Okay, had to reread to understand. But what I mean by this is that anything that would be adversaly affected by the passage od time of protected by this spell.

Actually, I'm not sure about other spells cast within the area. How is it handled when a spell of non-instataneous duration is cast on the Astral plane?

Pyrex

First Post
It seems to me there are two possible effect you're looking for from this spell:

1) Object/structures do not age / suffer erosion.
2) Creatures do not age / suffer from hunger/thirst.

Are you looking to accomplish one, the other, or both? For how long? Over how large an area?

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Pyrex said:
It seems to me there are two possible effect you're looking for from this spell:

1) Object/structures do not age / suffer erosion.
2) Creatures do not age / suffer from hunger/thirst.

Are you looking to accomplish one, the other, or both? For how long? Over how large an area?
Both; 1 day/caster level; 20 ft +5 ft/caster level radius emanation centered on a point in space

Pyrex

First Post
I knew I'd seen it somewhere. The spell you're looking for is Planar Bubble, page 158 in the Spell Compendium.

It's smaller radius than you're looking for, and shorter duration, so you'd need to ramp it to 9th level with a significant component; or just make it an Epic spell with a permanent duration. (Or have an epic level caster take the Permanent Emanation feat)

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Planar Flux
Conjuration [Creation, Teleportation]
Level: Cleric 9, So/Wiz 9
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: 10 minutes
Range: Touch (Focus; see text)
Area: 25 ft. +5 ft/2 levels radius
Duration: 1 day/level
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: No (see text)

Upon completion of this spell, the intended area of effect emulates the planar environment chosen.

For each day the spell is in effect, the affected area shifts to the plane the area is supposed to be emulating. When this happens the affected area is physically jaunted to the plane it is supposed to be emulating, gathers the planar energy then jaunts back to the plane the area originally resides on.

This whole process takes 5 rounds to complete; during these 5 rounds the area repels any creatures from entering it and forbids any creatures within from leaving.

This focus must be at the center of the desired area and must not be moved for the duration of the spell. If the focus is moved, the spell ends prematurely.

Focus: Any object native to the desired plane or any object exposed to the desired plane for one year.

Pyrex

First Post
Remove paragraphs two & three, they'll cause more trouble than they're worth.

Also, given the size & duration it really needs material and/or XP components.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases