D&D 4E From the 4e MM preview: Astraljamming?!

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
Jon Wake said:
Okay, "Powers-That-Were" is the coolest phrase I've heard on the board yet. Dead and dying gods of forgotten empires that huddle together in the Astral sea. Any captain foolish enough to approach are immediately set upon by the ancient defenders of old faiths, eager to convert or slay interlopers.

Thank you - I appreciate it. It does have a good ring to it, doesn't it?

And I love the idea of the gateway to Ravenloft being like a black hole!

Klaus

First Post
Tallarn said:
Thank you - I appreciate it. It does have a good ring to it, doesn't it?

And I love the idea of the gateway to Ravenloft being like a black hole!
I prefer to make it akin to the Sargasso Sea. Astral vessels become stuck in the murky, oily "waters", and sailors are forced to continue on foot through the mist, until they reach a shore... and then can never leave.

valeren

First Post
Any of you guys have an idea on whether there will be low level creatures in the Astral Sea? I'm kinda looking into starting the 4th ed campaign set in the Astral sea with the spelljammer/planescape concept. I just fear the creatures in the Astral Sea might be a bit too much for the group to handle at level 1.
Of course I can always use the gith, the dragonborn, the tieflings or the goblinoids as backup. Hopefully they can also have their own Astral ships.
- - -
My campaign concept so far: the characters are part of a refugee ship from one of the domains and are fleeing from possible pirates or whatever force there is in the Astral Sea that deals with piracy/slavery (I'm guessing the Illithids for now). They have to continue moving on, while looking for supplies and stuff, and evade their pursuers which are sort of after them or simply all over the place. Chances are the characters are the most capable of the refugees and have to take care of the rest.
Still looking for further concepts though. I’m still working on the rest of the details as the previews come along and the Core Books come out
- - -
Makes me wonder though if the Professional skills are still in use. It’s going to be difficult having rules on ship to ship situations without them.

katahn

First Post
It would seem to me that "Astraljamming" would be an epic-level setting. Sailing the high seas of the Astral Sea is not an endeavor I'd recommend for level 1 characters. Of course, even though a level 1 character could technically "spelljam" it still wouldn't be something I'd recommend. Spelljammer worked best for level 10+ characters IMHO, it could be done with level 6 or 7+ but in my experience required more fudging on the DMs part.

Remove ads